WHAT?!? Two posts in one week??
This has to be a record for me.
But seriously… our house is on cupcake overload! I’m planning a baby shower for the sweetest girl, and couldn’t serve cupcakes that haven’t passed the four year old’s taste test.
That is where these cupcakes come in. She suggested strawberry lemonade cupcakes… but when I got to the store a giant carton of blackberries were staring me right in the face… They happen to be one of my favorite fruits, so how could I say no??
Blackberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1-1/2 C. flour
- 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 C. salted butter; softened
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. plain yogurt
- Zest of two lemons
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Whisk together your flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl. Set to the side.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of your electric mixer. Add the eggs, yogurt, lemon juice, and zest. Mix to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Fill your liners 3/4 full, and bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- 2 C. blackberries
- 4 t. sugar
- 1-1/2 t. lime juice
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and continue to cook until slightly thickened. Cool briefly then transfer to a cheesecloth. Squeeze all of the juice into a container and transfer to the refrigerator to cool.
- 2-1/2 sticks salted butter; softened
- 2-1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 C. blackberry sauce
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar. Slowly add in the blackberry sauce and whip until light and fluffy.
The best part about these cupcakes? That they are so adaptable! Don’t love the blackberry? Switch it out for strawberries… raspberries… or how about cherries?
Or just enjoy the cake with a little whipped cream.
Lemon is a spring time flavor that I truly look forward too. Anything citrus is welcome in our home.