This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Post Pebbles, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #PostWalgreens http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO
I have been craving an apple crisp ever since I saw one on instagram a while ago. Like really really craving one. Initially I wanted to include some caramel like my Caramel Apple Pie, but when I opened my pantry I realized that caramel is a lot of work… and maybe not what was on the agenda for today. So I decided to wing it and ended up with a dessert that is mouth wateringly good.
This is the perfect fall treat. The baking apples filled my house with the most amazing aroma. My husband could hardly wait for me to pull this out of the oven so he could top it with a giant scoop of ice cream. I also used a bit of Honey Bunches of Oats in the topping which gave it a yummy crunch! Creative, right? The original recipe called for oatmeal, but I like a little crispness to my crisps.
- 2-1/2 lbs of apples, peeled and chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 + 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey bunches of oats cereal
- 1/2 cup butter, diced
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together the apples, lemon juice, zest, 1/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into your prepared dish.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, 1/3 cup sugar, cereal, butter, and salt. Mix until resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of your apples and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Can you believe something so yummy came from a box of cereal?? My favorite way to eat this is to top it with a giant scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The ice cream melts right into the apples blending the flavors and creating a dessert soup type of dish.
If you aren’t a fan of the honey roasted you can try almond or vanilla bunches version of the cereal. Next time I might try the vanilla. I love how great Post cereals are for creating unique and healthy autumn-inspired recipes.
Right now at Walgreens you can get any of the post cereals below for $1.99! Can’t beat that price, right?
So what are you waiting for??? Head on over and stock up! This deal is only good for a limited time, and I know I’ve been dying for a big bowl of fruity pebbles! Anyone want to send me a box??