I have to be up front with you, but you can’t laugh or judge… Cream cheese mixed with chicken does not scream Mexican cuisine to me. In fact, I was super hesitant to try this recipe at all just because of that one odd ingredient. Luckily my husband was insistent and we decided to test out these easy chicken taquitos.
I got to work rounding up all of the filling ingredients. It’s mostly things you’d assume go into a taquito like chicken, cheese, and salsa. Add in a few spices and you are ready to get mixing!
Just a little tip: My favorite way to shred my chicken (and mix up the filling) is to toss it straight into the bowl of my kitchen aid and use the paddle attachment.
Once you’ve got that together it’s time to assemble. I like to use the smallish tortillas and spoon 3 heaping tablespoons of filling onto the lower third. Use the back of your measuring spoon, or a knife, to spread the filling from end to end.
Now roll up as tightly as you can get them without your tortillas breaking. It helps if you slightly warm your tortillas in the microwave or have them at room temperature.
Next you place them all on a lined cookie sheet, spritz with a little cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, and bake. Or freeze if you aren’t quite ready for eating. We like to keep these on hand for busy days (or are those considered lazy days??) when I just don’t have the time (or motivation) to get into the kitchen. Pop one into the oven and you’ve got a warm meal in as little as 10 minutes!
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- small flour or corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment. Set them aside for later.
- Mix together the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, red pepper flakes, cilantro, green onions, chicken, and cheese.
- Place one tortilla on a work surface. Spoon 3 tablespoons of your filling onto the lower third of your tortilla. Roll tightly and place onto your prepared sheets. Continue until the rest of your mixture is used. Spray your taquitos with non-stick spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake your taquitos for 15 minutes and enjoy!
- TO FREEZE: Follow the recipe through spraying with non-stick spray and sprinkling with salt. Place the taquitos in the freezer for twenty minutes. Once flash frozen you can stick them into a big Ziploc and keep on hand for later. When you are ready to eat just stick them into the preheated oven and follow the directions above.
recipe adapted from Seeded at the Table