Yesterday I was lucky enough to represent Harmons Grocery on one of our Utah local news stations, KUTV channel 2! It was so fun to visit with the anchors and share one of my favorite cold weather recipes! January is national soup month after all and what better way to warm up than with a warm bowl of creamy tomato soup and a gooey grilled cheese sandwich?!
This soup has it all… Creaminess, spice, and a bold tomato flavor brought in by the sun dried tomatoes. I’ve seen the jars packed with little red blobs and floating Italian seasoning but never imagined that it could turn into something so delicious! I wish I could take full credit for this recipe, but the truth is I found it somewhere else. It was in one of my very first blogger cookbooks from Our Best Bites and has beaten out other tomato soup recipes in our family taste test. It has just enough of a spicy kick to take things over the edge and is so simple to whip up. I highly recommend you head over and buy their cookbook right this second because all of the recipes are outstanding.
We do prefer it a little more on the chunky side and normally use a hand blender, but this last time I just tossed it all into my Blendtec and let it work it’s magic. The smooth texture is ideal for grilled cheese dipping. Especially when you’ve got some gourmet style cheeses paired with Harmons unbelievable artisan breads. I am in love with the sour dough and rosemary cheese combination and my husband was a big fan of their seaside Beehive cheese paired with the spicy tomato. I have to give a huge shout out to the cheesemonger that took the time to walk me through flavors and teach me a little about pairing.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ¾ cup shredded carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes, oil drained
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14oz) can chicken broth
- 3 oz cream cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Mix in the onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and the carrots are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, sun dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer your soup to your blender and mix until desired texture is reached. Alternately, you could use a hand or emersion blender which I find simpler.
- Serve warm with grilled cheese or crackers.