These lemon bars bring a sweet tang to your dessert that is perfect for summer!
These lemon bars are simply the best. I can not help but eat more than one every time I whip up a batch! The sweet and soft crust is topped with a tart custard that just pairs oh-so well together. Dust with just a hint of powdered sugar and you’ve got yourself a pan filled with lemony goodness. It is like sunshine baked right into a tiny tart like treat.
Anyone that knows me understands that my love for all things citrus runs deep so of course I feel like these should be number one on your summer must-make list. Take them to a barbecue and watch them disappear before your eyes. You will instantly become the magician of the kitchen and people will be begging for the recipe.
Truth be told, I would pick these lemon packed bars over chocolate any day of the week. It’s a sad, but true, fact that I actually prefer citrus to that milk chocolaty goodness. Something about the refreshing lemon pulls me in and wins my heart. I can’t be the only one out there though?! Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?
Ok, so maybe I am. BUT you should still give these a shot at the number one spot. Top them with some easy candied lemon slices for an oh-aw effect. I cut mine in triangles but you certainly are welcome to cut them into squares. Either way your guests are sure to enjoy these tasty bites of perfection.
One quick tip before you get started… Line your pan with parchment paper for a quick and easy way to pull them out of the pan. It isn’t neceessary, but sure does make your life a whole heck of a lot easier when it comes time to plate these beauties.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, 2 cups flour, ½ cup sugar, and salt. Press into the bottom of a parchment lined 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together 1-1/2 cups sugar, ¼ cup flour eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pour over the crust and bake and additional 20 minutes or until the custard is set. Refrigerate until chilled, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy.