This delicious Spiked Cocoa Recipe is brought to you by Drizly.
YOU GUYS. It’s been waaaaaaaaay too long. I miss you. Or I guess missed you. I’m back to bring you the most insane hot cocoa of your life. I basically took an already delicious drink and added a little touch of extra goodness with some salted caramel. That’s right… I ADDED CARAMEL TO HOT CHOCOLATE and it’s amazing. *mic drop*
All of this magic started when my new friends at Drizly reached out to tell me how much they loved my Nutella Hot Chocolate. I have to admit, I’m a sucker for a compliment and was instantly won over by their charm (and super adorable branding!). They work with local stores so you can shop their shelves using your smartphone or computer to order beer, wine and liquor at the touch of a button. Convenient? I like to think so.
One click, hop, and a jump later and I found this little gem: Salted Caramel Kahlua.
I’ve never been a super fan of Kahlua but it turns out the stuff is pretty darn delicious when you pair it with rich hot chocolate. My husband says this idea is nothing new but I beg to differ. I think I’m a creative genius. Also, I don’t know why more drink companies don’t jump on the salted caramel bandwagon. Can someone please reach out to Nesquik and Ovaltine and tell them we’re ready for them to hop on this trend??
But back to this recipe. I decided to share TWO different ways you can prepare this drink since I didn’t want my non-drinking fans to be turned away. Just follow the directions below and get ready to quickly become addicted to this cup of heaven. Top with marshmallows, whipped cream, or enjoy all on it’s own!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz Salted Caramel Kahlua (optional) OR
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce with a pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Stir together the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the milk, Kahlua or Caramel. Heat until just warm enough to enjoy. Remove from the heat and stir in your vanilla extract.
- Divide between 4 cups and serve with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
Top with marshmallows or whipped cream