I am in love with my grocery store. I should be able to shop at multiple places but once Harmon’s built their location in Farmington I was smitten. I’m pretty sure it was the big gorgeous building, friendly staff, and gelato/ice cream that they have right by the door that pulled me in. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I got a full tour from the Harmon Brother’s themselves and learned some amazing facts that validate my decision to drive a little further for the best. The fresh produce and hand trimmed chicken helped inspire these chicken asparagus rolls. While I’ve already thrown out a few reasons why I am in love with the store, I want to share five reasons why I LOVE Harmon’s before we dive into the goods.
1. They buy local. As much as they can anyway. I kind of love that they support the farmers in the area. It means a lot of things… My favorite? The produce and products they use in their grab and go items are fresh.
2. The healthy check out line. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stood in line listening to my nagging four (almost five) year old beg for candy. Every time I jump into the healthy check out line he picks an apple or fresh squeezed juice! Better choices for him = one happy momma!
3. They have amazing cooking classes in an amazing kitchen. Enough said.
4. Dieticians choice. I’m always looking for healthier options. If you are walking through the store you’ll notice that there are bright green stickers next to some products that say dieticians choice. The store has hired nutritionists to make their way through the entire store and they help you know which items are a healthier choice.
5. They use real butter. Seriously. The first place they took us was to the bakery where they taught us a little about their artisan breads and how they came to be. Somehow during the discussion we got on the topic of butter vs. shortening and how important it is to use the real stuff in your cakes, breads, and sweets. Shortening is the reason I don’t buy baked goods at any grocery store. They made me SO happy when they shared this little tid bit. I was terrified of grocery sweets but no more! And it’s all made FRESH.
I wanted to create a fresh recipe that really showcased some of the amazing produce I had to chose from this last week. The asparagus was just calling my name. It’s so pretty and so simple to cook. Typically we like to sauté with a little butter and garlic or bake it with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s a great spring time side dish that will really compliment any meal.
It wasn’t until I spotted this recipe from All Recipes that I decided to make a chicken bake type of dish. If I can add the veggies straight to the chicken… Chances are way better that my little guy will eat it.
They turned out so much better then I had hoped. I was worried about the creamy sauce getting a little too brown and the cheese leaking out of the side. While there was a little bit of escaped cheese a majority stayed in place. Not only was this simple to whip up but it looked pretty impressive as well. I like to think of it as a more fancy version of a chicken cordon blue. The sauce gives it such a nice tang. I’ll be whipping this up the next time we have company for sure!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 chicken breasts, trimmed and flattened
- 2 slices of provolone
- 4 slices thin sliced ham
- 8 asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees and line a baking dish with foil. Set that aside for later.
- Combine the mayonnaise, dijon, seasoning, zest, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- To flatten your chicken simply place in a large Ziploc bag and pound with the bottom of a large pan. Layer the chicken, cheese, ham, and asparagus. Roll tightly and place on your prepared baking dish. Brush a generous amount of the sauce onto your chicken and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you chicken is cooked through.
Here’s the best news! ONE of YOU will get to experience the amazingness of Harmon’s for yourself! Follow the rafflecopter below for the chance to win a $250 gift card!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway