I once was bribed to write a feature post in exchange for a giant box of chocolate covered strawberries… Before you even ask me, just know that I will not tell you who they were, but I will say that it was on my old site, and they are a company I totally love. I would have written the post without the sweets, but let’s be honest… The second there was any mention of chocolates… Everything else became a blur.
It’s been month’s since the post went live, but in the back of my mind, I just can’t forget about those darn strawberries. I hate working with melted chocolate, so I decided to come up with a more creative way to incorporate the two flavors. I spent a few hours tossing around ideas with me three year old, and we finally came to the conclusion that he needed chocolate chip cookies. Stef at Cupcake Project has the most amazing recipe for Strawberry Whipped Cream that I just knew would pair great sandwiched in between two soft and chewy cookies!
- 1/2 C. butter, soft
- 1/2 C. white sugar
- 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 C. flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 C. mini chocolate chips
- 1 C. heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 C. powdered sugar
- 4 T. pureed strawberries
- For the Cookies: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars. Mix on low speed until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Slowly stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, or large spoon, create uniformed balls of dough, and place a few inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottoms are just starting to brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the whipped cream: Pour the heavy cream into the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat with the whisk attachment until stiff peeks form. Slowly add the powdered sugar followed by the strawberries.
- Assembly: Spoon a generous portion of the whipped cream onto the bottom side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of that, and gently press down.
This cookie is perfection. Soft on the inside with a little crunch on the outside. The whipped cream filling almost didn’t even make it onto the cookie! It all started with a taste testing, which led to more tasting… and ended up with me and Dax hovering over the bowl with our own spoons…
Now, time for an announcement, and something totally off topic. I’m running a deal with Plum District next week, and Friday my cupcakes will be showcased on Studio 5! If you aren’t from Utah, you are probably thinking…. showcased on what?!? Well, Studio 5 is a local morning show. Karen, from Plum District, is making an appearance on the show to kind of give a sneak peek at some of their amazing Mother’s Day deals that will be running all of next week!
If you want to tune in, here are the details:
Friday April 20th @ 11:00 on KSL 5!