I had originally planned on posting an amazing chocolate cupcake, but decided on a delicious graham cracker recipe instead. Why? Well… Life. I’m so busy with work and the kid that I haven’t had two seconds to take a decent photo! I made these for my old site, and they have been a staple in our home ever since.
The great thing about them is that they are very adaptable. You can add spices, cocoa, or just about anything and they will be scrumptious! My little guy loves to sample these right out of the oven. The warm and slightly sweet cracker is perfect for a midday snack!
- Homemade Graham Crackers
- 2 C. white whole wheat flour
- 1 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. cinnamon
- ½ C. butter, softened
- ½ C. packed brown sugar
- ⅓ C. honey
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- ½ C. milk
- Whisk your flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Cream you butter with the brown sugar until fluffy. Stir in the honey and vanilla. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and milk. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide your dough into four equal pieces. (I freeze 3 of the four, and bring them out later). On a well floured surface, roll one of your dough pieces into a 5×15 inch rectangle. Divide into rectangles using a knife or cookie cutter, and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 14 minutes, and cool on a cookie sheet.
recipe adapted from: AllRecipes
These have a nice crunch to the outside, but a soft center. I don’t know about you, but that is what I look for in a sweet cracker. I like to sprinkle mine with a cinnamon and sugar mixture before baking. My little guy enjoys them just like this, or with a little nutella spread on top.
TIP: If you want to use these as a pie crust, let them sit out for a day or two.