I don’t know about all of you, but I am ready for some warmer weather. We are so tired of being cooped up inside! My son needs some serious outdoor time to get rid of his winter blues, but with the temperatures in the negatives he doesn’t last long. It’s got me wishing for the warm summer days that I was tired of a few months ago.
In an attempt to help me forget about the cold I decided to try out a new citrus recipe! Nothing says spring like lemon zest in a dessert! Thanks to Giada, and Food Network, I found this recipe for Lemon Ricotta Cookies! I was hesitant at first, but ricotta is such a mild flavor that really blends well into a batter. It gives these cookies a nice cake like texture.
- 2½ C. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- ½ C. butter, softened
- 2 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1½ C. powdered sugar
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, ricotta, lemon juice, and zest. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Spoon the dough onto your prepared baking sheets and bake for 11-15 minutes. Just until the edges are slightly browned. Cool on a cooling rack.
For the Glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Spoon ½ of a teaspoon onto each cooled cookie. Spread with the back of a spoon or a knife. Allow to set for an hour. Package as desired.
I love that you can see all of the zest that was added to the glaze. Be prepared. These little treats pack a sweet and tart punch. It reminds me of the sour patch kids commercial. “First they are sour, and then they are sweet!”
They are also addicting. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies. By the time my husband got home there were 2 dozen left… I’m not proud of what I did… but it was SO worth it!