I don’t love it.
I do, however, love these apple crumb bars that are very similar.
Something about the cinnamon and brown sugar slightly caramelizing together with the apples is pure joy. It reminds me of autumn. Which is funny since it is just barely showing signs of spring/summer here in Utah. As the smell slowly filled our home while it baked, I had to fight the urge to break out the hot cocoa and snuggies…
Ok, Ok… we don’t own snuggies.
But I would have totally gotten them out just to snuggle up on the couch with a good book, hot chocolate, and a few of these bars. Even if it is 80 degrees outside.
Apple Crumb Bars
- 3/4 C. brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1-1/2 C. flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 C.cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 C. peeled, chopped apples
- 2 T. flour
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup of the brown sugar,baking powder, salt, and flour. Cut in the butter and egg using either two knifes or a pastry cutter. You want the mixture to be crumbly and not too dry. Place a little more than half of your dough into your pan. Press down with clean hands or a spoon until well packed.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the apples, remaining sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over the top of your prepared crust and adjust the apples to form an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining dough over the top of the apples.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until your bars are a nice golden brown. Serve alone, or with some vanilla ice cream!
Whatever you decide, I think we can all agree that they are delicious! They even get the seal of approval from the toddler. He thought these were the perfect after dinner treat and a great way to start the week!