Apparently you all REALLY love salted caramel. My salted caramel cheesecake bars were shared almost 100 times on Facebook! I am just blown away at their popularity and decided I probably should keep with the trend and whipped up this salted caramel buttercream. You always need a reason for a good frosting, am I right? This specific recipe was made for some unbelievable cupcakes that will be making an appearance Monday!
- 1/3 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I use fleur de sel)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Combine the shortening and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until fluffy.
- Slowly add in the caramel sauce, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir until fully combined.
- Add the heavy cream and turn your mixer on high for two minutes or until the buttercream is fluffy.
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can use a homemade caramel sauce or you can pick up some in the ice cream aisle! If you do decide to go the premade route make sure you pick a sauce that is a little on the thicker side. Smuckers has a great salted caramel sauce that needs to be heated. It works to be about the same consistency needed to make this recipe work. Runny sauces will leave you with a runny mess.
Ready for a sneak peek at the cupcakes? Check these babies out…
Oh my dreamy. I don’t want to give too much away. Just know that yes there is salted caramel involved. It ALSO happens to be a cake mix hack. That’s right people, I used a cake mix! Truth be told… Sometimes that’s just the easier route. So prepare your taste buds for fall flavor overload!
Recipe adapted from Wilton