Apparently I’m on a candy making adventure this week. First there were the turtles and NOW I’ve got these easy homemade peppermint patties!
There are few things that intimidate me in the food world… Candy making is definitely one of them. There are so many components that could potentially go wrong and it’s nerve wracking. I think I own 10 candy thermometers and am positive each one is broken. Or maybe not. I can never seem to reach the target temperature when heating up the base and if you don’t get it hot enough it doesn’t set. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why this recipe is so wonderful.
There is absolutely zero cooking. All you need to do is add most of the ingredients to a mixer, give it a good stir, and shape your disks. Melt the chocolate (which is the most difficult part) and dip! Let them sit out and set up for an hour or two and you have an elegant treat ready for any party or gift. I like to grab some cute holiday bags or boxes and mix in a few other candies for a quick gift idea. Everyone loves chocolate, right?
Just a little kitchen tip before you get started… Make sure you use peppermint extract and NOT mint.
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons shortening
- Combine the first three ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat with a paddle attachment until fully combined.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Place on wax paper and gently flatten with your fingers into a disk. Allow to sit 2 hours, turning once halfway through.
- Melt the semi sweet chips with 1 teaspoon shortening. If the dip seems a little too thick add the extra teaspoon of shortening. Dip each patty using a fork and place back onto the wax paper until set.
This post may contain affiliate links. I include these links to help you find specific products that are used in my recipes. If you purchase an item from the link on One Sweet Appetite, I will receive a small commission helping keep my recipes free for you.
One Sweet Appetite is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com