Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice is easier than you would think. Just mix a few ingredients you already have in your pantry and you are ready for some serious fall baking!
Did you know you can make your own pumpkin pie spice? It is actually just a combination of several commonly used baking spices that are stirred together.
Crazy simple and perfect for fall. We like to keep a jar of this on hand for lattes (try adding this to your coffee grinds before brewing!), breads, cakes, and so much more! Bonus, it takes less than five minutes to whip up and can be stored for up to 2 to 3 years (if your spices are fresh).
This recipe has only four ingredients and you literally just stir it together. It is the PERFECT pumpkin pie spice substitute and if I had to guess, I would say you have all of these on hand already.
What is in pumpkin pie spice:
All of the spices are ground. You can either purchase them already powdered or grind them on your own. If you opt for whole spices that you grind, the flavor is stronger and they last even longer in your pantry!
This is a pretty forgiving recipe which means you can adjust the different spice amounts and really play with the flavors. For example, I am not a big fan of a super strong clove taste so I kept that amount pretty low.
I know a few people prefer a more pronounced flavor and increase the cloves to 1/2 a teaspoon. I will leave that decision up to you and your specific tastes!
How to make pumpkin pie spice from scratch:
- Gather the ingredients listed above.
- If using whole spices, grind in a spice grinder. Fun tip: you can also use a coffee grinder for this!
- Measure and mix all of the spices in an airtight container.
- Keep stored for up to 3 years in a cool dry spot.
Helpful tools for this recipe:
Ways to use pumpkin pie spice:
Ok, so you made your spice mix and it is good to go. Now what? Listed below are some of my favorite ways to use pumpkin pie spice in your every day cooking.
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Fall Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Pumpkin Pie Granola
- Bakery Style Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Bars
- Easy Pumpkin French Toast
- Classic Pumpkin Pie
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Favorite Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small dish. Stir until fully incorporated. Store in an air tight container.
Pin for later: