Tomato Stuffed Chicken. Add this family favorite to your menu. Flavorful tomatoes and cream cheese stuff each chicken breast for a easy dinner recipe.
Finding new ways to make chicken has become my mission in life.
We always fall back on easy baked versions but I knew that a refresh on the classic dish needed to happen ASAP.
Tomato Stuffed Chicken Recipe
It is simple and amazing. Better yet, kid approved. Not too often you get something that is elegant enough for a dinner party AND tasty enough that your kids will devour their servings.
How to bake stuffed chicken
Before we roll out the red carpet for the recipe I want to leave you with a few tips to ensure perfect chicken every time.
- Make sure your chicken breasts are not too thick. If I’m starting with a thicker breast I slice it in half lengthwise. Next I pound it thin before spreading the filling. If the chicken breast is already on the thinner side skip the cutting.
- Use a toothpick to hold in place.
- Watch closely. You don’t want to over-bake. Your chicken should reach a temperature of 165 degrees.
Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3 garlic cloves minced and divided
- 1/4 cups chopped sun dried tomatoes not in oil
- 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil divided
- 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 plum tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Slice each chicken breast in half lengthwise or pound flat. Sprinkle each breast with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Stir together the cream cheese, two of the garlic cloves, and dried tomatoes. Spread over your chicken leaving a small boarder around the edges. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the dried basil and all of the Parmesan cheese. Roll the chicken jelly roll style, holding in place with tooth picks.
Place your chicken in your prepared pan seam side down. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Let it rest while we complete the next step.
Combine the plum tomatoes, remaining basil, one clove of garlic, olive oil, and vinegar in a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Slice your chicken and serve over a bet of greens covered in your bruschetta mixture.