This post was updated on by
These Pina Colada Muffins are loaded with fresh coconut and crushed pineapple for a delicious start to your day! Simple to make with minimal ingredients.
Muffins. Basically the only acceptable way to eat cupcakes for breakfast. And one of our favorite ways to add a little sweetness to the start of the day.
This cocktail inspired treat is loaded with pineapple and coconut. Topped with a spoon full of lime coconut glaze for a slightly tart finish. Please hold while I wipe the drool off of my keyboard…
Coconut Pineapple Muffins
Ingredients for pina colada muffins:
The secret to moist muffins? Banana! Or at least that is the secret in these. Overripe is best but any banana will do.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Apple sauce
How to freeze muffins:
These are also freezer friendly! Follow the steps below with any leftovers!
- Let the muffins cool completely.
- Place them into a freezer safe container or zip top bags BEFORE you put the topping on.
- When you are ready to eat, wrap one in a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Eat plain to topped with the lime glaze and toasted coconut.
How to make pineapple coconut muffins:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour with the sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs, apple sauce, bananas, and pineapple and stir to combine. Fold into the dry ingredients adding the coconut.
- Fill your prepared liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Secret to fluffy muffins:
- Do not use an electric mixer. I know it seems like it is the easier way, but you will end up with thick dense brick. You want these to be light and moist. Hand mixing takes just as little time and produces results that are bakery worthy! So just remember that less is more when it comes to mixing. You want things to come together but only just until you do not see any dry ingredients. Lumps are A-OK, so don’t panic.
How to toast coconut:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Spread your coconut flakes in an even layer on your baking tray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring your coconut every 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when desired coloring is achieved, we like a lighter brown with small bits of white, but also enjoy a darker brown.
I wrote a full in-depth post about this the other day, but here is a quick breakdown of how I like to toast coconut in the oven!
Like this recipe? You will love my: