I really hate to waste any leftover ingredients. Last week I had to enlist the help of several family members to get a can of coconut milk open… when I didn’t end up using the entire thing I just couldn’t let myself pour it down the drain. I covered it up and stuck it in the fridge.
And that got me thinking… what could I make with this milk?
Something not too dense… maybe have a nice summer flavor… like… citrus? Yeah… citrus!
That’s about the time I remembered that my lemon bread has milk that could easily be substituted with the coconut milk. I was sure the two flavors were going to combine into a mouth full of awesomeness!
Lemon Coconut Bread
- 1/2 C. soft butter
- 1 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. lemon juice
- grated lemon peel of two lemons
- 1-1/2 C. flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/2 C. reduced coconut milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan (I used mini’s).
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the eggs, lemon juice. and lemon.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Slowly pour in the milk and stir until combined.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake 45-50 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the center comes out clean.
Not to toot my own horn or anything…
but this bread is AMAZING.
Ok… so I’m tooting it a little.
If you’d like a nice glaze simply whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice. Drizzle it on top and enjoy!