When I cook with pumpkin I mainly stick with the sweets category. Can you think of ONE savory dish that includes pumpkin (pumpkin chili doesn’t count)?? My top thoughts are:
Nothing even close to the savory side. So when I was flipping through the latest copy of AllRecipe magazine and saw a recipe for the chili I was intrigued. Why shouldn’t pumpkin be aloud in the savory side of cooking? So I rolled up my sleeves and tested it out. With a few modifications of course.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans
- 2 (28 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- sour cream
- green onions
- Cook your beef in a medium sized skillet until just browned. Add the red pepper flakes, garlic, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the peppers. Cook an additional five minutes.
- Drain the kidney, black, and great northern beans. Rinse well. Pour into a slow cooker along with the diced tomatoes (un-drained), pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir in the beef mixture. Cook on high for two hours or until heated through.
- Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, and green onions.
My husband wasn’t super excited about a sweet chili. He was convinced that it was going to be horrible. Especially with the hint of pumpkin. Luckily I got him to taste a small bite before we dished it up and he fell in love. It helped that our house smelled amazing from the chili simmering for a few hours. This is the perfect fall recipe!
Is anyone else wondering about these super adorable mini baker pots?? I originally saw them on Where Women Cook when my friend Stephanie posted some delicious looking easy mexican rice and just knew that I had to have them! Just thought I’d throw in a quick shout out to Create-Ologie and say thank you for such a fun product!