This post was updated on by
This Tomato Basil Penne is a quick easy dinner that is packed with bold flavor! With just a few simple ingredients you can have dinner on the table in no time!
Penne pasta is my new go-to when deciding what type of noodle to use in my recipes. It has the perfect little hiding pocket to soak up extra sauce which makes every bite that much better, am I right?
I’m sure you are going to see penne on here frequently over the next few months (hint hint) but I wanted to start with this insanely simple dish. It’s packed with bold flavor and is on your table in under an hour!
Penne Pasta Recipe
All of the magic starts with a little Italian sausage. Brown that up with some tangy tomatoes, fresh basil, and a LOT of garlic for one amazing base. This is comfort food at it’s finest and a belly pleaser that’s about to take your pasta game to the next level!
Easy Pasta Dinner Ingredients:
- Sausage or ground beef
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
How to make tomato basil pasta:
Cook your sausage in a large skillet until browned. Add the garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
Stir in the tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes or just until soft. Add the pasta, mozzarella, parmesan, and basil. Heat an additional 5 minutes or until warm and cheese has melted.
Do you have to use penne in this recipe?
No. You can easily substitute any other pasta variety and it will work great! You could also substitute the meat for chicken or pork!
- 1-8 oz package penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 lb Italian sausage or ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- Cook your sausage in a large skillet until browned. Add the garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes or just until soft. Add the pasta, mozzarella, parmesan, and basil. Heat an additional 5 minutes or until warm and cheese has melted.
AND in case you missed it, today is National Pasta Day! I’ve got a list of kick butt recipes from some of my favorite blogging buddies to give you a few more options and help you load up on your carbs!