This post was updated on by
I love when you can take something that looks complicated and turn it into something simple. That’s a lot like these baked onion rings. I have always wanted to make my own, but hate dealing with the mess of frying in my kitchen. When I first stumbled onto Jeff’s recipe I was skeptical. I mean, there is no way it can be that easy and you can get a crunchy ring ready to pair with your summer burgers…
After a few minor tweaks I’ve finally made these blog approved. Keep in mind that anything baked is going to have a more… healthy crunch vs the greasy you are used to. My five year old is a fried foods expert (self-proclaimed with little experience) and he has given these five stars. They have a great crispness and are full of flavor minus all of that oily goodness. It’s perfect for everyone that is trying to cut back but might need a oh-so-bad-but-so-good snack.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour and paprika. In another bowl combine the eggs and milk. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Dip your onion rings in the flour mixture. Follow that with the milk. Finish with the bread crumbs. Lay onto your prepared sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Make sure to turn halfway through for even crispness.
I used these on my Western barbecue burger. The homemade ring was just the right addition to that juicy recipe! If having them stacked high on your meal isn’t your cup of tea you could always use them as a fun side dish! Whip up a yummy dipping sauce to serve with them and you are golden!
So what do you think? Going to give them a try?