These delicious buttermilk cupcakes are filled with vanilla flavor and a slight tang. Perfect to serve with any frosting and a family favorite!
This Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcake is my all-time favorite. It was one of the base flavors in my newest cookbook, The Deliciously Easy Cupcake Cookbook, and is the one we have made over and over.
The texture reminds me a bit of pound cake, only lighter, with a flavor of vanilla Cake. There is a slight tang that brings everything together, thanks to the buttermilk, and makes these addicting. Extra eggs give you an incredibly moist and sweet finish.
My eleven year old, who is also a self proclaimed food critic and has delivered me some seriously bad reviews, raved and gave these five stars. We now make them for every occasion.
Ingredients for Buttermilk Cupcakes:
The ingredients for this recipe are simple, and most likely already in your home. Be sure to have all of your ingredients at room temperature to help them come together quickly and avoid any over mixing.
- All-purpose flour- Regular white flour that can be found in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
- Baking powder and baking powder- Leavening agents that give your cake that light and fluffy texture.
- Butter- I like to use unsalted butter in this cupcake, but salted will work in a pinch.
- Sugar- Regular white sugar, or granulated, is what you will need.
- Eggs- Large eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract- Always use pure vanilla extract, never imitation.
- Sour cream- This adds a pleasant tang to the cupcake. However, if you are in a pinch you can substitute this with plain Greek yogurt.
No buttermilk? No problem! You can make your own by combining 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar with 1 cup milk. Allow the mixture to sit for five to ten minutes, stir and add to your recipe.
Tools for this recipe:
Baking cupcakes can be super simple, especially with the help of some of my favorite kitchen must-have’s! The following are items I personally own and use and make my baking experience seamless.
- Cupcake Tins
- Cupcake Scoop
- Stand Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- Silicone Spatulas
- Dry and Wet Measuring Cups
How to make Buttermilk Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking tins with paper liners and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Add the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, or a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated.
5. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream.
6. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating between the two until fully incorporated.
7. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Cool and top with your favorite frosting.
How to bake the perfect cupcake:
- Here are a few tips before I dive into the recipe itself;
- Be sure to mix only until each item is incorporated.
- Use room temperature ingredients and scrape the sides of the bowl regularly.
- Cupcake scoops aren’t necessary, but they do help keep your cupcake sizing even.
- Cupcakes are finished baking when a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean or the tops spring back when gently pressed.
- Chill completely before frosting. This helps keep your frosting from melting off and helps it hold its shape.
Frosting ideas for this cupcake:
The flavor for this cupcake is mainly vanilla. That means there are limitless options for frosting! here are a few of our favorites:
- Strawberry Whipped Cream (pictured)
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Chocolate Frosting
- Fudge Frosting
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
TIP: These would look beautiful with a candied strawberry slice on top!
More Cupcake Recipes:
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Blackberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Homemade Coconut Cupcakes
- Funfetti Cupcake Recipe
- Lucky Charm Cupcakes
- Classic Pound Cake
Buttermilk Cupcake Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups 3 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking tins with paper liners and set aside.
- 2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- 3. Add the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, or a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated.
- 5. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream.
- 6. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating between the two until fully incorporated.
- 7. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 8. Cool and top with your favorite frosting.
Check out these other AMAZING cupcakes from other super talented bloggers:
Cupcakes for Cupcake Lovers Day!
Hosted by Valentina | The Baking Fairy
Vegan German Chocolate Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy
Bailey’s Red Velvet Cupcakes by Our Crafty Mom
Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Whipped Cream by One Sweet Appetite
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
Coffee Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes by The Urben Life
Fiori Di Sicilia + Elderflower Cupcakes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Gingerbread Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Maple Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Date Icing by UpBeet Kitchen
Mickey Mouse Sprinkles Cupcakes by For The Love of Food
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes by Join Us, Pull Up A Chair
Poblano Cornbread Muffins with Goat Cheese Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Sourdough Strawberry Cupcakes by Our Good Life
Vanilla Bean Buttercream Cupcakes by Red Cottage Chronicles