This is the Best Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe. Ready in under 30 minutes with just six simple ingredients, including Velveeta! Better than Panera and a go-to belly warming dinner that our entire family approves of.
Looking for more must-try soup recipes? I’ve got you! These are a few of our go-to’s for a comforting dinner that even my pickiest eater approves: Lasagna Soup, Homemade Tomato Soup, Copycat Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup!
This recipe was originally published January 26, 2015. It has since been updated to include fresh photos and helpful recipe tips.
- 30-Minute Recipe: Ready to eat in just 30 minutes? Yes, please!
- Only SIX Ingredients: I love a quick and easy meal. This one checks all of the boxes. Minimal ingredients, minimal prep, and a delicious filling meal.
- Ultimate Cheese Experience: Thanks to the addition of Velveeta, you get a super rich and creamy soup that is unmatched!
I look for two things when I am searching for dinner ideas… First the recipe has to be incredibly simple and second it has to taste great. This Velveeta broccoli cheese soup managed to hit a home run in both of those categories. It is quick, easy, and needs to be in your belly. Right now.
I do have to confess that the secret is not really anything special. It is Velveeta. I have tried so many versions using sharp or medium cheddar but non have surpassed the flavor of this bowl of processed goodness. Although, if you want a homemade version that is sans processed cheese, be sure to try my homemade broccoli cheese soup.
Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup Ingredients
The beauty of this recipe is how simple the ingredient list is. You need only a handful of ingredients and end up with bold flavor! Truly the BEST broccoli cheese soup. Here is what you will need to get started:
- Potatoes: I’ve made this with both russets and yukon golds. We prefer russets. They’re cheaper, boil quickly, and still hold a little shape giving you a more hearty dish.
- Onion: Yellow onion, diced finely. My kid HATES onion and calls me out anytime I add it to a dish. This one slid past him.
- Water: Adding water helps boil the potatoes while also adding to the broth.
- Cream of chicken soup: I know, I know… Do you really need this? Probably not. But it is such a delicious start to this dish. It adds so much flavor to the boiling potatoes and gives depth to the added cheese.
- Broccoli: I like to use frozen chopped broccoli. It saves me so much prep work and I can keep it on hand always.
- Velveeta: Trust me, even velveeta haters love this soup.
- Toppings: While this is considered optional, I highly recommend stirring in a good handful of cooked and chopped bacon. It is a game changer!
For a full list of ingredients and measurements see the recipe card below.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
My youngest sister, who absolutely despises any sort of processed cheese, will do anything for a bowl. She has called me numerous times begging me to bring her some. When I brushed her off the last time she showed up on my doorstep with all of the ingredients in hand. So before you head for the hills running give it a try. You will like it. I promise.
- PREP: Peel the potatoes, rinse, and cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes. Place in a large pot.
- SIMMER: Finely dice the onion and stir in with the potatoes along with the water and canned soups. Mix until combined. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- BROCCOLI: Stir in the frozen broccoli and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- CHEESE: Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the broccoli with bacon, if using. Stir until the cheese has fully melted, returning to the heat if you need to warm the mixture.
- SERVE: Serve with shredded cheese and more bacon pieces and enjoy!
This soup recipe happens to be freezer friendly which is important for my family of three. A lot of the time meals will go to waste and leftovers will never see the light of day once they are packaged and pushed to the back of the refrigerator.
With this recipe you will fill a freezer safe Ziploc, label, and freeze for a quick meal later on.
Which is especially handy on cold winter days when I need some warm comfort food to cheer me up.
Try topping with bacon crumbles! An amazing addition.
Yes. I like the easy of frozen broccoli, but you definitely can use fresh. Simply wash and chop before adding to the soup.
With the canned soups, this recipe is already well seasoned with salt. I recommend sticking to pepper and dry mustard. However, always taste before you season additionally.
More Must Try Soup Recipes
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 (10.5oz) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (12oz) bags frozen broccoli try to get the kind with less stems
- 16 oz Velveeta
- 6-8 slices bacon, optional cooked and crumbled
- Peel the potatoes, rinse, and cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes. Place in a large pot.
- Finely dice the onion and stir in with the potatoes along with the water and canned soups. Mix until combined.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen broccoli and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the broccoli with bacon, if using. Stir until the cheese has fully melted, returning to the heat if you need to warm the mixture.
- Serve with shredded cheese and more bacon pieces and enjoy!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
Hi Jesseca! I’m keen on trying this recipe, but here in Australia, grocery stores don’t sell Velveeta. What can I use as a substitute?