Nothing warms your belly like a bowl of this homemade tomato soup recipe! This creamy soup is simple to make and tastes incredible. Especially when paired with a grilled cheese sandwich!
I grew up with the classic tomato soup from a can. It was my mom’s specialty (not even kidding). She worked full time and ran my two sisters and I to all of our events. By the end of the day, when we were all exhausted, she would grab a can of Campbell’s from the pantry. Five minutes and dinner was ready.
While this creamy tomato soup doesn’t take five minutes, it is completely worth the added time. Rich, creamy, and delicious. those are the three words my very picky eater used to describe this soup. It’s also fairly simple to put together! Carrots and onions give it a great base and crushed tomatoes round things off!
What you need:
The beauty of this recipe is that it is so incredibly simple to customize. I love topping mine with fresh basil and grated Parmesan. My husband likes a dash of red pepper. The kid? A good dash of fresh ground pepper. Play around with the seasonings and I’m sure you will fall in love.
- Italian seasoned crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Cream or half and half
- Parmesan cheese
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Add the butter and oil in a medium pot or dutch oven. Heat over medium until warmed.
2. Add the onion and carrots to the heated pan. Saute until the carrots are soft and the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook one minute more.
3. Stir in the salt and pepper, sugar, chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream cheese and half and half.
5. Blend if desired. *see notes*
6. Top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
What goes well with soup?
Soup on it’s own is never enough to fill up my boys. We often top it with fun additions or serve some killer sides. Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy this tomato soup recipe:
- Grilled Cheese– Nothing pairs better than grilled cheese to dunk into a warm bowl of soup!
- Croutons- Garlic cheesy croutons are a simple and easy way to add crunchy goodness. You can find these in the salad section of most grocers.
- Dinner rolls – a classic go-to for every dinner, am I right?
- Side salad- Add more greens to your diet with an easy side salad. All you need is lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and fresh grated parm. Toss and serve!
Like this recipe? You will love my:
Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 28oz can Italian seasoned crushed tomatoes
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup cream or half and half optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- 1. Add the butter and oil in a medium pot or dutch oven. Heat over medium until warmed.
- 2. Add the onion and carrots to the heated pan. Saute until the carrots are soft and the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook one minute more.
- 3. Stir in the salt and pepper, sugar, chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream cheese and half and half.
- 5. Blend if desired. *see notes*
- 6. Top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Pin for later:
Still hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
Leave a Review!