The BEST Grilled Cheese Recipe – and only one you will want to make again! French bread, garlic butter, and medium cheddar gives you the perfect melted cheese sandwich!
My nine year old came up with this grilled cheese sandwich recipe. His genius idea to replace the butter with a garlic butter was mind blowing.
Why in the world have I never thought to do this?? He was so casual about his idea too. I think it went something like… “We should try garlic butter grilled cheese.” followed by a shoulder shrug.
From that day forward this is the only grilled cheese recipe we have made.
It is so simple and yet so tasty and also happens to be our go-to for a busy weeknight dinner. To make it more filling, you can add your favorite protein, but it is delicious all on its own.
- Quick and Easy Dinner: Ready in 10 minutes.
- Cheap Dinner Idea: In total, this costs under $1 per serving!
- Easy to Customize: Add sliced deli meat or your favorite vegetables for a more filling option.
Since this best-ever grilled cheese calls for minimal ingredients, it is important that you pick quality products. We find the best bread for grilled cheese to be French bread and a good medium cheddar cheese. Homemade garlic butter is key to the flavor explosion. Make sure you check out my recipe before you get started.
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich on the stove:
- Spread soft butter on one side of two pieces of bread.
- Layer your buttered bread (butter side out) with cheese slices sandwiched in the middle.
- Grill 2 minutes on each side in a heated pan until golden brown.
How to make garlic butter:
You will want to head over to my recipe for the exact measurements, but this garlic butter is so delicious. Great with grilled cheese, garlic toast, fish, or steak. Give it a try and you will not be disappointed.
- Place butter, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and ground pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix together until smooth.
Alternatively, you could use a store bought garlic spread. We like the added cheese in our homemade version. It gives this grilled cheese sandwich a crispy cheese crust that is divine.
What cheese is best for a grilled cheese sandwich?
This question is best answered by my child. He is a self proclaimed cheese connoisseur. His top picks are:
- Mild Cheddar
- Pepper Jack
You also want to consider any toppings you will be adding. Turkey pairs well with pepper jack or Swiss, while ham is more of a cheddar. Go ahead and mix and match your cheese varieties too. Place a slice of pepper jack with cheddar. That’s my favorite.
What bread is best for a grilled cheese?
It is extremely difficult to find a bread that is not good as a grilled cheese sandwich. Some of our go-to flavors are sour dough, multigrain, classic white bread, or even English muffins. The top pick has to be fresh sliced french bread. Spread with garlic butter and grilled to a beautiful golden brown – There is nothing quite like it.
A few serving ideas:
- Along side tomato soup
- With a handful of chips
- Or a light salad
No matter what you decide to serve this incredible recipe with, one thing is for sure. The entire family will love it.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 4 slices French bread*
- 3 tablespoons garlic butter
- 6 slices medium cheddar cheese
- Spread 1/2 of a tablespoon onto one side of each of your bread slices.
- Build your sandwich. Layer bread slice (butter side down), three slices of cheese, and bread slice (butter side up). Repeat with the remaining bread and cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place one of your sandwiches onto the heated surface. Cook 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat with the second sandwich.
Use any bread or cheese variety with this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 1837mgCarbohydrates: 97gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g
Pin for later: