Say hello to our new favorite dinner: Caprese Chicken! This delightful dish combines succulent grilled chicken with the fresh and vibrant tastes of tomato, basil, and mozzarella. It’s like a taste of summer in every bite. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds and impress your dinner guests with this simple yet sensational recipe that’s sure to become a regular on your menu.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Chicken Dinner
- Minimal Ingredients: There are only five called for ingredients in this simple dinner recipe.
- Light and Fresh: This dish is far from heavy but still keeps you full.
- Prep Ahead: Perfect to prep at the start of your day, it takes less than five minutes, and you have a delicious meal in minutes later that night!
It’s tomato season. Of course that means that I am trying to fit them into each and every meal. This caprese chicken has got to be one of the stars of summer. It’s super simple to make and packs a flavor punch! Make it on the grill or in the oven for a quick weeknight dinner everyone will love.
Caprese Chicken is a flavor-packed symphony! Imagine succulent grilled chicken harmonizing with the bright notes of ripe tomatoes, the aromatic essence of fresh basil, and the creamy richness of mozzarella. It’s a taste that dances between savory, tangy, and herbaceous—a true culinary masterpiece!
Caprese Chicken Ingredients
This ingredient list is short, making it the perfect meal for busy nights. It’s also stunning and great to serve for parties! Basically, save this one for any time you need something filling and fresh.
- Chicken: I like chicken breast for this recipe, however you can use chicken thighs. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Balsamic Dressing: You don’t have to get fancy here. I picked up our favorite brand. This is used as a quick marinade and adds a bulk of the flavor.
- Seasonings: I use an all purpose seasoning, like Livia’s, or you can use a combination of salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Mozzarella: Search for the slices of fresh mozzarella. They work the best and give you a nice melty cheesy bite.
- Tomatoes: Varieties like juicy heirloom, sweet cherry, or plump Roma tomatoes steal the spotlight. Their vibrant colors and succulent textures complement the other ingredients perfectly, ensuring each bite is a burst of pure delight.
- Basil: Optional, but a fresh way to finish off the meal.
How To Make Caprese Chicken
- MARINADE: Place the prepared chicken breast in a container with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a tray with parchment for easy cleanup and set aside.
- GRILL: Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with 1 ½ teaspoons Livia’s seasoning. Heat a skillet, or grill pan, to medium high heat. Cook the chicken for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- TOPPING: Transfer the chicken to a baking tray. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella cheese and tomato slices. Sprinkle with the remaining Livia’s seasoning.
- ENJOY: Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Optionally add basil and more balsamic dressing. Enjoy!
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer: Cooking to that perfect temp of 165 ºF is key to a moist and delicious breast. Using an instant read thermometer (affiliate) will ensure perfect chicken every time.
- Shallow Dish: This larger shallow container with a lid (affiliate) is one of the most used items in my kitchen. Perfect for marinades and so much more.
- Tongs: Keep your hands safe by using a quality pair of tongs (affiliate) to add and remove the chicken from the grill.
The trick here is to make sure you marinade the chicken at least 30 minutes before baking, but ideally up to 6 hours. This will infuse it with fantastic taste and prevent dryness.
Absolutely! While mozzarella is the traditional choice, you can experiment with other cheeses like provolone or even a sharp cheddar for a unique twist that suits your taste buds.
Definitely! Prepare the chicken and Caprese topping in advance, but hold off on combining them until you’re ready to serve. This way, you’ll keep the freshness of the tomatoes and basil intact.
This Caprese Chicken can hold its own in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep those flavors locked in and to prevent any moisture loss. When you’re ready to enjoy the leftovers, a quick reheating in the microwave or a gentle warming in the oven will bring back that mouthwatering taste. Remember, the sooner you savor those leftovers, the fresher they’ll be!
A crisp and light white wine like a Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc complements the fresh flavors of Caprese Chicken beautifully.
Great question! Consider options like garlic bread, roasted vegetables, a simple green salad, or even a light pasta salad. These sides will complement the flavors of the chicken wonderfully.
- 2 large chicken breast pounded to even thickness or sliced in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup balsamic dressing
- 2 teaspoons Seasoning*
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 2-4 tomatoes sliced
- Fresh basil optional
- Place the prepared chicken breast in a container with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with 1 ½ teaspoons Livia’s seasoning.
- Heat a skillet, or grill pan, to medium high heat. Cook the chicken for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray. Top each chicken breast with mozzarella cheese and tomato slices. Sprinkle with the remaining Livia’s seasoning.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Optionally add basil and more balsamic dressing. Enjoy!