This Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Recipe is the quick and delicious dinner idea you’ve been searching for! Packed with vibrant flavors and cooked to perfection, these sizzling fajitas are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Simply toss tender chicken strips, colorful bell peppers, and zesty onions onto a sheet pan, sprinkle them with a mouthwatering blend of spices, and let the oven work its magic.
Why You’ll Love These Oven Fajitas
- Make Ahead: The prep for this recipe is seriously less than ten minutes. Chop, mix, marinade. So super easy and better when prepped in advance!
- Picky Eater Approved: My teen, who loathes peppers and onion, could not get enough of this dish!
- Freezer Friendly: Double the recipe and freeze half before baking! This will give you an even quicker meal on your next super busy day!
Our life is busy. I’m constantly running our kid around to different events, working my full time job, and maintaining our home. Thinking of a what to eat for dinner is the last thing I want to worry about. I made a version of this recipe around Christmas and instantly fell in love. Since then we have made it over a dozen times, making small adjustments until it was the exact perfect balance of flavors.
These sheet pan chicken fajitas are the dinner you never knew you needed. The overall flavor profile is a balance of savory, tangy, and subtly spicy notes, creating a mouthwatering experience that is sure to satisfy even the most discerning palate. Whether you wrap them in warm tortillas or enjoy them on their own, these fajitas will transport you to a world of vibrant and bold flavors.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
Listen, this recipe is SO EASY. I used very basic ingredients but still get that super bold flavor we all know and love. SAVE this recipe for your next busy night go-to!
- Bell Peppers: Three whole peppers, or about 4 cups of sliced, in any color.
- Onion: If you like a more bold onion flavor you should use a red or white onion. For a more subtle note opt for a sweet onion.
- Lime: Just one lime. You’re going to put all of the juice into the marinade.
- Oil: I really like to use avocado oil, however we tested these with vegetable oil and olive oil with delicious results.
- Fajita Seasoning: Can you make your own seasoning? Of course! I like the ease of the prepared packets that you find in the grocery store. Our favorite is classic fajita or ranch fajita seasoning!
- Chicken: Chicken tenders make for even quicker prep, but you can definitely use chicken thighs or chicken breasts that have been sliced into tenders.
How To Make Baked Chicken Fajitas
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the marinade to soak all of the good flavors into the veggies and chicken. Here’s how to make this super simple dinner:
- PREP: Slice the peppers into strips and the onion into thin slices. Place into a large zip top bag, or large airtight container.
- MARINADE: Add the fajita seasoning, oil, and chicken into the container. Mix well, close, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- BAKE: Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Spread the fajita mixture onto a sheet pan and spread into an even layer. Bake 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through to a temperature of 165 °F.
- ENJOY: Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
- Sheet Pan: A large sheet pan (affiliate) is key to an even cooking. However, in a pinch you can use a 9×13 pan (affiliate).
- Container: The marinade is where you find soooo much flavor. Having a good container (affiliate) is going to change the game. You can also use gallon zip top bags (affiliate).
- Knife and Cutting Board: You do a LOT of cutting for this dish. Using a sharp knife (affiliate) is going to make this process super quick and easy.
Absolutely! Traditional fajitas often include bell peppers, such as red, green, and yellow, which offer a mild and sweet taste. However, you can experiment with other pepper varieties to suit your preferences. Consider using poblano peppers for a slightly smoky and mild heat, or jalapeño peppers for a spicier kick.
Making homemade fajita seasoning is quick and easy. Here’s a simple recipe:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust according to spice preference)
Stir the ingredients together and use as needed.
Yes, you can definitely make sheet pan chicken fajitas ahead of time. Preparing them in advance can be a great time-saving strategy for busy days or when entertaining guests. Here’s how you can do it:
Refrigerate: If you plan to cook the fajitas within the next 24 hours, cover the sheet pan tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake.
Freeze: If you want to prepare the fajitas further in advance, cover the sheet pan tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer the fajitas to a freezer-safe bag or container for longer-term storage.
When you’re ready to cook the fajitas, simply follow the baking instructions from the recipe. Adjust the cooking time if needed, as frozen fajitas may require a bit longer in the oven.
When serving chicken fajitas, there are several delicious accompaniments that can complement and enhance the overall meal. Here are some popular options: tortillas, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, rice and beans, limes.
Feel free to mix and match these accompaniments based on your preferences and create a personalized fajita feast that suits your taste buds.
Once the fajitas have cooled, transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
When ready to enjoy, preheat the oven to a low temperature, around 325°F (163°C). Place the fajitas on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 3 large bell peppers about 4 cups sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup oil I like avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 1 (1.12 oz) packet fajita seasoning
- Slice the peppers into strips and the onion into thin slices. Place into a large zip top bag, or large airtight container.
- Add the fajita seasoning, oil, and chicken into the container. Mix well, close, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Spread the fajita mixture onto a sheet pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through to a temperature of 165 °F.
- Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.