These are the BEST Carne Asada Tacos! Made with flank or skirt steak and a marinade packed with flavor! Perfect for the grill OR oven.
I grew up in Southern California where tacos were king.
We always begged my dad to stop by our favorite taco stand whenever we were running errands. He would act like it was an inconvenience to go all the way across town, but would give in every single time.
His order was always the same. Three carne asada tacos.
Two for him, and one for me, when I ultimately decided that the chicken was good but his looked much better.
I love that man for so many reasons, but giving me a love for amazing food is high on the list. This carne asada taco recipe is for him.
What are carne asada tacos?
Let’s start with a quick breakdown of what these tacos are exactly. Carne asada is a taco made from a marinaded steak. Typically you will see it sliced super thin and served in corn tortillas with a little shredded cheese and pico.
All of the magic starts with a super simple marinade recipe from Tyler Florence. I did make a few slight tweaks…
You take a handful of fresh ingredients and blend them together. I’m talking about cilantro, jalapeno, lemon, garlic… The smell is amazing. You will start to question if you should start a taqueria.
What kind of meat should you use for carne asada tacos?
I made this recipe a dozen times before deciding on our favorite cut of meat. I suggest using a flank steak. The marinade seems to soak into the meat giving it a wonderful tender texture and bold flavor. My mouth is watering just thinking about how delicious this meat is.
Side note: We have also used this marinade on chicken. SO. GOOD.
Time for the tougher question. Prep for this recipe is a snap but how do we cook the steak??
You have two options. You can grill this baby up and slice away OR you can use your oven.
I know the oven is the lesser liked option of the two, but we were facing a 19 degree snowy day meaning the grill was not an option. I was pleasantly surprised how amazing this turned out. Here’s the secret:
How do you make GOOD carne asada tacos in the oven?
- Preheat your broiler.
- Line a baking tray with heavy duty foil. DO NOT USE GLASS.
- Mist with cooking spray. Take your meat out of the marinade.
- Cook 13 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches 145 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
145 degrees gives you a medium steak. Add a minute or two if you prefer a more well done meat or subtract a minute or two for a more rare option.
The last thing we need to talk about before I release you to start your taco adventure is toppings.
Here are a few of our absolute favorite options for carne asada taco toppings:
- pepper jack cheese
- sliced jalapeno
- fresh cilantro
- garlic salsa
Like this recipe? You will love my:
Carne Asada Tacos
For the marinade:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cuo olive oil
For the tacos:
- 2 lb flank steak
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese we like pepper jack or cheddar
- diced onion pico, salsa, sour cream, or any other toppings you may enjoy.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients for the marinade in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add the oil and pulse until combined.
- Pour the marinade over the steak. Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Heat the broiler in your oven. Cook the steak 12 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Allow to rest 10 minutes. Slice thin.
- Assemble your tacos and enjoy!
Pin for later: