This post was updated on by
Start your day or satisfy your sweet tooth with this incredibly delicious Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin! Everything comes together in under 10 minutes and it is loaded with protein thanks to the addition of Kodiak Cakes Mix!
Special thanks to Kodiak Cakes for sponsoring this post. #ad
I have always been one of the biggest fans of easy mug cake recipes. They make a single serving, are super simple to make, and a quick fix to satisfy your sweet tooth. But I could never justify making cake for breakfast.
Did you know you can use Kodiak Cakes flapjack and waffle mix to make a mug muffin? No joke, it is easily one of my favorite recipe discoveries. Especially when you factor in that it is packed with protein and 100% whole grains and tastes phenomenal. We opted for the chocolate chip mix, but I could easily see myself loving the almond poppy seed or dark chocolate!
Chocolate Chip Muffin in a Mug
Let’s start this post by answering a pretty important question… What exactly is a mug cake or muffin?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like. A cake made using a mug and cooked in the microwave. Minimal ingredients are stirred together right in a mug, popped into the microwave, and cooked in just a few minutes.
Tips for making mug cakes:
- Use a large mug to avoid your cakes from overflowing. I made the mistake of using a regular ol’ coffee mug the first time around. Boy, was it a mess! Grab the biggest one your have and you’ll be good to go.
- Make it molten by adding a heaping spoon full of peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread. Once the batter is mixed together, drop the spoonful of your nut butter of choice right in the center. Don’t mix it in! Just pop it straight into the microwave.
- Make sure ingredients are mixed well to avoid dry clumps or uneven cooking.
- Test the cook time in your microwave. Mine took two minutes, but my mom’s took one and a half.
Ingredients for Mug Muffins:
- Kodiak Cake Mix
- brown sugar
- additional chocolate chips
How to make a Muffin in a mug:
Combine the milk, butter, and vanilla extract in an over sized mug. Whisk with a fork to combine.
Stir in the Kodiak Cake Mix and brown sugar.
Microwave one minute. Check with cake to see if cooked through. Add up to one additional minute cooking time in 30 second increments as needed.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Kodiak Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- chocolate chips, optional
- Combine the milk, butter, and vanilla extract in an over sized mug. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Stir in the Kodiak Cake Mix and brown sugar.
- Microwave one minute. Check with cake to see if cooked through. Add up to one additional minute cooking time in 30 second increments as needed.
It takes my microwave two minutes total to cook this muffin.