This Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin is a cozy treat that’s as quick as it is irresistible! It’s like a warm, gooey hug in a cup—perfect for those mornings when you hit the snooze button one too many times. Just mix up the batter, pop it in the microwave, and voila! In less time than it takes to decide what socks to wear, you’ll have a fluffy, chocolate-studded masterpiece.
Why You’ll Love This Microwave Muffin
- Quick: This is the perfect quick breakfast or snack recipe. Takes less than 10 minutes and has only 6 ingredients!
- Protein Option: Thanks to the use of my favorite protein mix, this recipe actually has added protein.
- Picky Eater Approved:
I have always been one of the biggest fans of easy mug cake recipes. They make a single serving, are super simple to make, and a quick fix to satisfy your sweet tooth. But I could never justify making cake for breakfast.
Did you know you can use Kodiak Cakes flapjack and waffle mix to make a mug muffin? No joke, it is easily one of my favorite recipe discoveries. Especially when you factor in that it is packed with protein and 100% whole grains and tastes phenomenal. We opted for the chocolate chip mix, but I could easily see myself loving the almond poppy seed or dark chocolate!
Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin Ingredients
The prep for this recipe is dreamily short AND so is the ingredient list! Perfect for a quick breakfast or treat that even little ones can make on their own! Here is what you will need to get started:
- Milk: We’ve tried several different milk types and have found that dairy milk works best.
- Butter: Tested with both unsalted and salted. We prefer unsalted for this specific recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: This works as a flavor enhancer for the muffin.
- Pancake Mix: Full disclosure, I have only ever made this with Kodiak cake mix. Please comment below if you’ve tried other varieties with success!
- Brown Sugar: Just a touch to add sweetness. This can be left out in a pinch.
- Chocolate Chips: Tested with semi sweet, milk chocolate, and every different shape and size. All work beautifully in this recipe.
How To Make A Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin
- PREP: Combine the milk, butter, and vanilla extract in an over sized mug. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- MIX: Stir in the Kodiak Cake Mix and brown sugar.
- COOK: Microwave one minute. Check with cake to see if cooked through. Add up to one additional minute cooking time in 30 second increments as needed.
- Mug: This recipe doesn’t need anything fancy, you can actually use almost any mug. But I really love this mug set (affiliate).
- Mini Whisk: Mixing the batter fully is key to a good cake. I love these mini whisks (affiliate). I also use them for hot chocolate, carnation, and even whipping eggs for scrambles.
- Baking Spray: You can use cooking spray, like avocado or Pam, but we prefer a baking spray (affiliate). They leave little to no flavor and let the cake flavor shine.
Let’s start this post by answering a pretty important question… What exactly is a mug cake or muffin?
A mug cake is exactly what it sounds like. A cake made using a mug and cooked in the microwave. Minimal ingredients are stirred together right in a mug, popped into the microwave, and cooked in just a few minutes.
- Use a large mug to avoid your cakes from overflowing. I made the mistake of using a regular ol’ coffee mug the first time around. Boy, was it a mess! Grab the biggest one your have and you’ll be good to go.
- Make it molten by adding a heaping spoon full of peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut spread. Once the batter is mixed together, drop the spoonful of your nut butter of choice right in the center. Don’t mix it in! Just pop it straight into the microwave.
- Make sure ingredients are mixed well to avoid dry clumps or uneven cooking.
- Test the cook time in your microwave. Mine took two minutes, but my mom’s took one and a half.
Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Kodiak Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- chocolate chips optional
- Combine the milk, butter, and vanilla extract in an over sized mug. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Stir in the Kodiak Cake Mix and brown sugar.
- Microwave one minute. Check with cake to see if cooked through. Add up to one additional minute cooking time in 30 second increments as needed.