Today, I’m dishing out something that’s a total game-changer for your breakfast routine: the mighty mug pancake. Imagine waking up to a fluffy, warm pancake that’s literally cooked in a mug, using your microwave. It’s the perfect blend of convenience and yumminess, ideal for those busy mornings or when you’re just craving a sweet treat without the hassle. So, grab your favorite mug, and let’s dive into the world of mug pancakes – your new go-to for a quick and delicious breakfast!
Why You’ll Love This Mug Recipe
- Speedy Breakfast Solution: Who has time to flip pancakes on a busy morning? Mug pancakes are ready in a flash, giving you more time to sip that coffee and scroll through your feeds.
- Customizable Creations: Whether you’re all about chocolate chips or a nutty fan, you can tailor each mug pancake to suit your mood or dietary needs.
- Fun for Kids: Let the little chefs in your life have fun with this easy and safe recipe. It’s a great way to introduce them to cooking.
I always love a quick breakfast. We were on a mug muffin kick, a recipe that uses pancake mix, when my teenager said “I bet we could do this with pancake mix.” He was right. You CAN make almost the same recipe with pancake mix and the end result is a fluffy pancake that is good enough for busy weekdays or lazy weekend mornings!
It’s got all the classic flavors of a traditional pancake but with a unique, slightly denser texture that’s oh-so-satisfying. Imagine the comforting taste of a fluffy, golden-brown pancake, slightly sweet with hints of vanilla, and maybe a touch of cinnamon. The edges get wonderfully chewy, providing a delightful contrast to the softer, sponge-like center. Every bite is a cozy, comforting blend of homely pancake goodness, but with a fun, quirky twist. It’s like your favorite pancake decided to get a trendy, microwave-friendly makeover!
Mug Pancake Ingredients
The beauty if this pancake mug cake is how simple it is to make. A simple whisk of the dry and liquid ingredients in a coffee mug and, a quick pop into the microwave, and you’ve got an easy recipe ready to enjoy! Here is what you need to get started:
- Pancake Mix: Full disclosure, I have only tested this recipe with Bisquick and Kodiak cakes mix. In theory, other pancake mixes should work just fine. Can you make this with all-purpose flour? Maybe. I haven’t tested it but I would assume you’d need to add a smidge more in the dry ingredients.
- Milk: It adds the necessary liquid to combine the dry ingredients and also contributes to the texture of the pancake.
- Vanilla: One of my favorite flavor boosters. You could also add a dash of cinnamon or a little lemon zest for a fun flavor.
- Oil: Oil in pancake batter adds moisture, richness, and creates a tender finish.
- Toppings: maple syrup, fresh fruit (like fresh berries), peanut butter or even a handful of chocolate chips!
Pancake In A Microwave
Each microwave will be different due to the different wattages. They range from 600 to 1200 which means your microwave could take a little longer or cook quicker. My microwave is 950 watts and it takes me 45 seconds to 1 minute to cook this mug pancake recipe. Check the wattage of your microwave by finding the sticker that should be inside the door or on the back.
- PREP: Take a large microwave-safe mug, or small bowl, and spray with cooking spray.
- WHISK: Whisk together the pancake mix, milk, vanilla, and oil inside the mug.
- COOK: Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the pancake is set and cooked in the center. Remember the cook time will vary depending on your microwave wattage.
- TOPPINGS: Add the smallest pat of butter, syrup, fruit, or any other toppings and enjoy!
And voilà! You’ve got yourself a fluffy, delicious mug pancake, perfect for those lazy mornings or when you’re craving something sweet and quick. Enjoy your hassle-free, tasty treat! Next time we make this recipe I fully plan on adding fruit to make this breakfast mug cake a little like blueberry pancakes, my favorite!
Whipping up a mug pancake is super easy and doesn’t require a kitchen full of gadgets. Here are some handy tools to make your mug pancake adventure even smoother:
- Microwave-Safe Large Mug: The star of the show! Choose one that’s big enough to allow the batter to expand.
- Small Whisk or Fork: Perfect for mixing the batter thoroughly right in the mug.
- Spatula: Useful if you decide to turn out your pancake onto a plate.
- Toppings Galore: Get creative with syrups, fruits, whipped cream, or nut butter for drizzling and dolloping!
Nope, any microwave-safe mug will do. Just make sure it’s big enough to give the batter room to rise without spilling over.
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favorite store-bought mix or a homemade blend. Just remember to adjust the liquid accordingly.
Easy-peasy! It usually takes about 1-2 minutes in the microwave. You’ll know it’s ready when it rises up and looks firm to the touch.
Go for it! Mix in your favorite add-ins like berries, banana slices, or chocolate chips before cooking for a personalized treat.
You bet! Bake it in an oven-safe mug at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes, but keep an eye on it to avoid overcooking.
The key is not to overcook it. Start with a minute, check the consistency, and then add more time in short increments if needed.
Mug pancakes are best enjoyed fresh, but you can mix the dry ingredients in your mug the night before to save time in the morning.
- 1/4 cup pancake mix like Bisquick
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon oil I used vegetable oil
- Take a large microwave-safe mug, or small bowl, and spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the pancake mix, milk, vanilla, and oil inside the mug.
- Microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until the pancake is set and cooked in the center. Remember the cook time will vary depending on your microwave wattage.
- Add the smallest pat of butter, syrup, fruit, or any other toppings and enjoy!