I am a true believer that you should have at least three go-to cake recipes… Yellow, chocolate, and white. If you can find a great recipe for these basic cakes you are set for life. They are easily adaptable and can be transformed into any flavor.
Today I am sharing my favorite classic white cake recipe!
Classic White Cake
- 2-3/4 C cake flour
- 1-2/3 C sugar
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C. soft butter
- 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg
- 1 C. vanilla yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or flour two 8 inch round pans and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the flour, sugar, powder, and salt. Beat in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Add the egg whites one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as you stir.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together the yogurt and extracts. Slowly stir into the flour mixture. Divide into the two pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Watch the cake closely as to not over bake.
This cake is full of flavor, moist, and oh so delicious when paired with a classic vanilla buttercream. I’m almost certain you have all of the ingredients together to whip this up for you fourth of July barbeques! Top it with a simple pinwheel topper (tutorial coming soon) and you are all set!
Remember that this is part of a 4th of July party series? Check out the other fun projects and recipes: