This post was updated on by
This Southwestern Chicken Tin Foil Dinner is packed with flavor and only a handful of ingredients! Make it on hot coals, on the grill, or even in the oven at home!
We love camping around here. We also love grilling. This recipe falls firmly into both of those categories instantly making it a family favorite.
If you are not familiar with tin foil meals, I highly suggest you continue reading. This idea is so easy AND a fun family activity. We create an assembly line and let everyone build their dinners, adding anything their heart desires to their packets!
The specific flavors of this recipe are more of a southwestern flavor.
Southwestern Chicken Foil Packet Recipe
One thing I really love about this recipe, and any tin foil meal, is that you can customize it to your tastes.
I piled this one high with some southwestern favorites hoping for a fun festive flavor and we really knocked it out of the park. I used trimmed chicken breasts, black beans, corn, and pico packed tightly into a tin foil packet. Top with a little cheese for some melted savory goodness and you have got one killer dish.
Southwestern Chicken Dinner Ingredients:
- Corn: We like to use frozen for this recipe but fresh or canned would work as well!
- Black beans: Canned black beans that have been rinsed are best. OR you can pick a seasoned bean and skip rinsing. Just drain the liquid and use as called for in the recipe.
- Cumin: We stuck with easy spices in this recipe. Cumin, salt, pepper… Classics and delicious.
- Chicken breast: Quick kitchen tip? Slice thick chicken breasts in half lengthwise to help cut down the cooking time.
- Salt and pepper
- Pico: We always lean towards fresh pico but you could easily substitute salsa! We recently found that Trader Joe’s Hatch Chile salsa is insanely delicious!
- Pepper jack cheese: Easy substitutes could be cheddar or Mexican blend
- Garnishes: Top your cooked meal with any of your favorite Mexican sides!
My sister added some diced peppers and taco seasoning to hers which gave it a bit of a Taco Tuesday flair. Pack it into a soft tortilla and BAM. Instant taco goodness.
The best part? There is practically no mess. You can use your packs as the dish which saves on clean up time after you have finished!
How to make a chicken foil packet:
Pull off 4 sheets of heavy-duty tin foil (8-10) inches and layer to create two packets. Lightly mist with cooking spray.
Stir together the corn, black beans, and cumin. Divide between two foil packets. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place 1 on each packet. Top with pico de gallo and cheese.
Fold up the sides of the foil and seal tightly. Cook on hot coals or on a grill over medium low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the temperature off the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Make sure to turn several times to avoid burning.
Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole before serving.
What to serve with a chicken pack dinner:
This recipe is so incredibly delicious as is, but we like to jazz it up! Below are a few of our favorite ways to serve this recipe.
- Side of tortillas
- Sour cream
- Diced peppers
- Tortilla chips
How to fold a tin foil dinner:
- Start by cutting a piece of heavy-duty tin foil big enough to fit your meal. I recommend 12-18 inches long.
- Generously mist with non-stick cooking spray. I always use coconut oil spray but even regular ol’ Pam will work.
- Layer your food directly in the center of your food. Remember to put the items that take longer to cook on the outside so they are exposed directly to the heat.
- Bring the two longer edges together above the food. Fold the edges together down twice, creating the top seal.
- Press the shorter side edges together and fold, creating a secure packet. Cook according to your recipe in the oven, on the grill, or over hot coals.
Get a full step by step guide with photo instructions in this post.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 chicken breasts, trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese
- cilantro, to garnish
- sour cream, optional
- guacamole, optional
- Pull off 4 sheets of heavy-duty tin foil (8-10) inches and layer to create two packets. Lightly mist with cooking spray.
- Stir together the corn, black beans, and cumin. Divide between two foil packets. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place 1 on each packet. Top with pico de gallo and cheese.
- Fold up the sides of the foil and seal tightly. Cook on hot coals or on a grill over medium low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the temperature off the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Make sure to turn several times to avoid burning.
- Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole before serving.