This is the Ultimate Breakfast Burger! A juicy burger patty is topped high with crispy bacon, melty cheese, and a perfectly fried egg. The best way to start your day.
Looking for another must-try breakfast sandwich? Try my Breakfast Grilled Cheese, Freezer Friendly Breakfast Sandwich, and Copycat Taco Bell Breakfast Crunchwrap!
- Fun Twist on a Classic: Burgers for breakfast? Yes, please! This is an excellent way to jazz up your menu.
- Easy to Customize: Use sausage in place of ground beef or add your other favorite burger toppings.
- Family Favorite: Requested often and always picked for special occasions, like birthdays.
Ready for a game-changing recipe? This breakfast burger is packed with flavor, thanks to the easy seasoning and tastiest breakfast fillings. It is also SUPER easy. If you can fry an egg, you can make this burger. It is our favorite way to break out of our creal funk and gives you bold breakfast flavor in every single bite.
Double the recipe to feed a crowd or half for serving just two. Any way you decide to try it, you are going to LOVE this breakfast.
WHAT IS ON A BREAKFAST BURGER?
So what exactly do you need for this breakfast beef burger? Turns out, not anything special! I opted to top mine with basic breakfast favorites like smashed avocado, crispy bacon, and a beautifully fried egg. Here is what you need to get started:
- Ground Beef: They key to a good burger is quality beef. Reach for something with a higher fat. Fat adds moisture which gives you that thick and juicy burger. Opt for at least 20% fat content.
- Seasonings: Keep things simple with your favorite burger seasoning or regular salt and pepper. Let the meat flavor shine.
- Bacon: Crispy bacon is a breakfast staple, so it only makes sense it would be topped onto our burgers. We like to cook bacon in the oven. It makes it simple to whip up a large batch with even cooking.
- Avocado: Inspired by my love of avocado toast, but definitely an optional ingredient. Swap this for lettuce and thick sliced tomatoes if avocado is not your thing.
- Cheese: Cheddar is truly the underrated topping on burgers. Adds a delightful salty addition that is truly a star.
- Eggs: One fried egg per burger.
- Buns: You can truly get creative with your bun options. I opted for english muffins, gotta stick with that brunch theme, but you can use regular hamburger buns or even bagels.
HOW TO PAN FRY CHEESEBURGERS
I’m torn between two cooking versions. Pan frying is always a favorite, but there is nothing quite like an air fried burger. Either way, you will love these delicious breakfast burgers on english muffins.
- PREP: Measure all ingredients, cook the bacon, and form yoru patties.
- COOK: Cook the hamburger patties on the stove over medium/high heat. Flipping once halfway. I find that this takes roughly 5-8 minutes TOTAL.
- ASSEMBLE: Stack the burger on the bun and top with your favorite toppings. The LAST thing to add is your fried egg. Placing the egg on the top makes sure that the runny yolk coats every bite.
- ENJOY: Cut in half and enjoy!
- Burger Press: Is this a necessity? No. Is it a must-have for summer burger making? YES! This easy press (affiliate) is amazing at forming equal patty sizes and is under $10 at the time of writing this post.
- Air Fryer (affiliate): One of THE MOST USED kitchen items I own. Perfect for when you want a burger but aren’t looking forward to pulling out the grill.
- Beef Seasoning: I always reach for the Traeger Beef Rub (affiliate). It adds the perfect balance of flavor and has a long shelf life.
- Pick your meat wisely. Making sure to get a quality beef that has at least 20% fat will ensure you get juicy burgers every single time.
- Try mixing half ground beef with half breakfast sausage.
- Let the meat sit on the counter for roughly 30 minutes to come to room temperature. This helps ensure a tender fall-apart burger.
- Try not to overmix the burger and seasonings. Less is more and helps keep your patties from turning out tough.
You can add fresh vegetables, like tomatoes, onion, or even hash browns! Don’t limit yourself and top it off with anything that sounds delicious.
We like this burger sans sauce. However, you can easily top it with mayo or even a homemade fry sauce!
They key to a good burger is quality beef. Reach for something with a higher fat. Fat adds moisture which gives you that thick and juicy burger. Opt for at least 20% fat content.
Yes! Heat the grill to medium/high heat.
Grill the burgers roughly 4 minutes on each side, or until the burger reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
MORE MUST-TRY BURGER RECIPES
- Reuben Burger from my friend Yvonne at Tried and Tasty
- Western Bacon Cheeseburger
- Jalapeno Popper Burger
- Pulled Pork Topped Burger
- Cheese Stuffed Burger
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 english muffins
- 6 slices of cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Avocado smashed
- Bacon cooked
- Hash Browns
- Combine the beef, burger seasoning, and Worcestershire in a medium bowl. Gently mix with your hands until combined.
- Divide into six smaller equal pieces. Use your hand to form a thin and large round patty. You want them to be larger than you think. They will shrink and thick up while cooking.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, place the patties in the skillet.
- Cook until nicely seared and slightly browned up the sides. Flip and cook to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- Toast the english muffins and spread with butter.
- Build your burger by placing smashed avocado on the bottom of the first muffin. Top with bacon, patty, and fried egg. Sandwich together with the top part of the english muffin.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Comments & Reviews
I’ve never thought of a breakfast burger, but why not? It looks delicious!
Jonie @ Just Between Friends says
This looks incredible! Seriously! I haven’t ever tried egg on my hamburger, but I like the sound of it. Thanks for the recipe!
Amy | The Happy Scraps says
I would have never thought to make a breakfast hamburger. Looks delicious!
Yvonne @ TriedandTasty says
My favorite burger at Red Robin is the Royal Red Robin Burger that has an egg on top. It is SO GOOD!!! Love this easy way to replicate it at home – thanks for the fab recipe!