This is by far my favorite Brownie Recipe. With just a few simple ingredients you will have rich, fudgy, from scratch brownies that are hard to resist! The perfect fix to any chocolate craving.
In a hurry? Try my 2-Ingredient Microwave Brownies. Amazing single serve dessert option that tastes remarkably similar to these bars.
Best Ever Brownies- Ingredients
This simple brownie recipe requires one bowl and comes together in minutes. It gives you the most incredible fudgy brownies and is a no-fail indulgence for anyone that loves chocolate.
All of the ingredients are most likely already in your pantry, which means you could make these RIGHT NOW. Tested and loved by all and easily the best homemade brownies.
- Cocoa Powder: I like to use Dutch cocoa, which gives you a rich and deeper chocolate flavor. However, regular cocoa produces equally yummy bars. You cannot go wrong with either option.
- Boiling water: Just enough to whisk with the cocoa to help form a thinner paste.
- Unsweetened chocolate: This is my secret ingredient. Unsweetened chocolate paired with the cocoa powder sends the chocolate flavor over the top.
- Oil AND Butter: How do you get a super moist and fudge like brownie? By combining both oil and butter! The oil adds a moistness that cannot be beat while the butter gives you a rich and delicious flavor. I use vegetable, avocado, or coconut oil. Any oil that is more mild in flavor will work.
- Eggs: Large eggs that are at room temperature. This helps them whisk into the batter better, avoiding the risk of overmixing.
- Vanilla: Vanilla works as a flavor balancer. It works with the chocolate to blend all of the flavors and give you the perfect finish.
- Sugar: Some recipes call for brown sugar. My recipe does not, and here’s why: I wanted the chocolate to be the star. Adding brown sugar gives a hint of molasses that makes them too sweet.
- Flour: I have only ever used all-purpose flour in this recipe. I’m sure other varieties could work, but I could not confidently give suggestions.
- Salt: Don’t skip! Salt works as a flavor enhancer and is key in quality desserts.
Homemade Brownies From Scratch
The beauty of this recipe is how simple it is. You can have everything ready for the oven in under ten minutes. How handy will that be when you have got unexpected visitors, overnight guests, or find yourself in need of a something to take along to that gathering?
- PREP: Preheat the oven, line a baking pan (I live for parchment paper) to help easily remove the brownies OR spray with baking spray. Measure all of the ingredients before you start. This is a little tip that helps make everything run smoothly while baking and ensures nothing is missed.
- MIX: Mix the boiling water with the cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate. Once melted, add the oil, butter, eggs, yolks and vanilla. Whisk in the dry ingredients until your dough forms. Spoon into the prepared baking pan.
- BAKE: Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- ENJOY: Serve warm with a giant glass of milk or scoop of ice cream!
Bakers TIP: Like a cracked top? Separate the eggs before adding. Stir in the yolks BUT beat the whites until fluffy and peaks form in a separate bowl. Gently fold into the batter just before adding to the pan to bake.
This is, hands down, the BEST homemade brownie recipe. It is the one dessert is made on a regular rotation in our home. All of the ingredients are pantry staples making it even easier to try. Even novice bakers will rejoice at the chocolate goodness!
It is rich, decadent, and fudgy. All of the signs of a perfectly made brownie! I officially give you permission to eat at least three of these.
Tips For Perfect Brownies
- For a crispy top to your brownies try dividing your eggs. Add the yolks directly to the batter. Whisk the whites until fluffy. Fold in gently before transferring to your baking dish.
- Use room temperature eggs.
- Use parchment paper in your pan. This helps with easy clean up and also prevents them from sticking to the pan.
- Keep a watchful eye on the bars. You want to catch them at just the right time. They might not look completely cooked but that is the secret to a perfectly gooey brownie.
- Cut your brownies with a plastic knife. Sounds weird, but it works MAGIC. No sticking.
What is Dutch Cocoa?
Dutch-process cocoa is a cocoa powder that is treated with alkalizing agent which neutralizes their acidity. This gives it a less bitter taste and makes it darker in color. A lot of darker treats, like Oreo cookies, use Dutch cocoa!
Because it is neutral it means most of the time you will need to use baking powder and not soda in your recipes. Just a little science fact for you.
MORE MUST-TRY BAR RECIPES
The BEST Brownies
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 Tbs butter melted
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set the prepared pan aside for later use.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the cocoa and hot water into the bowl of an electric mixer or large bowl. Whisk until incorporated and no clumps remain.
- Immediately stir the unsweetened chocolate into the hot cocoa mixture. Stir until the chocolate pieces are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the oil, butter, eggs, yolks and vanilla into the mixing bowl. Whisk or stir to incorporate completely.
- Once the batter is smooth, fold in the dry ingredients. Gently stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Smooth out with the back of a spoon. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.