This simple carrot cake recipe is topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting. Perfect for beginner bakers and unbelievable flavor!
I loooooove this recipe!! I love it so much that I have remade it dozens of times. It is so perfect for almost every occasion.
Which is surprising, because I am not a huge fan of carrots. But when you shred them, toss with the perfect blend of spices, and bake them into a cake… They are magical.
See those thick layers? They are oh-so moist and make your home smell incredible while they are baking! Top things off with a beautiful and creamy cream cheese frosting and you have got a dessert fit for a king!
Award Winning Carrot Cake Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour- Building your base with a good flour is key! All-purpose is what is used in this cake recipe.
- Baking soda and baking powder- Baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents. They help give the cake its light and airy texture.
- Salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg- These three ingredients boost the flavor and compliment the carrot perfectly.
- Eggs- Large eggs at room temperature.
- Oil- Deciding which oil to use in a cake can be tricky. I have made this particular recipe with coconut, vegetable, and canola oil with great success.
- Applesauce- Sounds odd, but it helps with producing a moist cake. Don’t skip!
- Sugar- Both white and brown sugar are going to add to the richness of this cake flavor.
- Vanilla extract- Try to stick with pure vanilla extract.
- Carrots- I purchase whole carrots and peel and shred them on my own. However, you could also pick up a bag of pre shredded carrots and they should work fine.
The best oil to use in cake:
The most common oil used in cake baking is canola oil. The price is low and it doesn’t have an overwhelming flavor which is ideal when baking. You can also use vegetable oil. Some vegetable oils have a stronger flavor, so they could alter the flavor slightly.
How to make carrot cake from scratch:
From scratch cakes can be intimidating, but don’t let that stop you from trying! This cake is perfect for beginners. Follow the steps below for a perfect carrot cake.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line two 8 inch pans or a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the eggs, oil, applesauce, sugars, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer. Stir in the dry ingredients and carrots. Divide between your round pans or pour all of the batter into your 9×13.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Best frosting for carrot cake:
Cream cheese frosting!! I was trying to decide if there are other flavors that will work, and there definitely are, but cream cheese is king. The slightly tang and less sweet flavor compliments the carrot in the most perfect way. Add in that dash of cinnamon and you have a drool worthy dessert that is hard to resist!
Tips for this recipe:
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to line the bottom of your cake pan. This is probably the BEST cake baking tip I can ever offer you. After you grease your pan, place the parchment circle on the bottom and top with your batter. After baking, this makes removing from the pan a breeze!
- Use room temperature ingredients to help with easy mixing. An over mixed batter makes a tough and chewy cake.
- Test your oven temperature. Over baking your cake can cause tough and chewy dessert. Knowing how your oven cooks and adjusting your baking time can be the key to a perfectly baked cake recipe.
More Carrot Recipes:
More Cake Recipes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese soft
- 5 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line two 8 inch pans or a 9x13 pan. Set aside.