Satisfy that sweet tooth with these decadent 2 Ingredient Mug Brownies. All you need is a large mug, brownie mix, and water!
Can we talk brownies for a second?
I have a deep love for those sweet chocolaty bars and they will always have a special place in my belly.
I dig homemade but am definitely not one to snub my nose at a box mix. So when I saw this cleverly titled book 50 Fixes for Brownie Mixes (affiliate), from my friend Aimee at Like Mother Like Daughter, I knew I needed to add it to my collection. The first recipe I knew I needed to make? This brownie in a mug!
- 2 Ingredients: The base for this recipe is literally TWO ingredients.
- Single Serving: It makes a hefty single serving or two smaller servings.
- Easy to Customize: You can add so many mix-in items to make this more customized to your tastes (see below).
I was pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of recipes included in this book. There is everything from brownie pancakes, brownie ice cream, brownie milk shakes, and MUG BROWNIES.
Basically what I’m saying is that you need to head into Costco or some other bulk warehouse and buy a bunch of brownie mixes so you can be prepared to make at least a dozen of these treats.
What You’ll Need:
This mug brownie with brownie mix is every chocolate lovers dream. Easy to make and minimal ingredients. Below is a quick breakdown. For measurements see the recipe card below.
- Brownie Mix: Pick your favorite. This is where 99.9% of the flavor is going to come from so I suggest picking one that is super rich.
- Water: Regular ol’ H2O.
Since the mug brownie is made without cocoa powder, AND took less than 2 ingredients and 90 seconds, I knew they it was THE recipe for me.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Combine the brownie mix and water in a mug. Mix to combine.
- Microwave 90 seconds.
- Top with whipped cream, ice cream, or chocolate chips.
Hard to believe you can have a dessert ready in under five minutes, am I right? We topped ours with a little ice cream and chocolate syrup. We agreed that it gets two thumbs up.
It did turn out a little more cake like but that works for me since I prefer my brownies less fudge textured.
Mug Brownies Tips and FAQ’s:
NOTE BEFORE YOU START: This is a mug recipe that only uses two ingredients. It won’t have the same oven baked taste that the classic recipe you know and love has.
HOWEVER, they are still amazing and perfect for a quick treat!
What is the best brownie mix to use with mug brownies?
You really cannot go wrong with any quality brownie mix. Our personal favorite is Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix . I mean, it is so full of chocolate flavor that you just cannot beat it. However, Betty Crocker Triple Chunk Brownie Mix and Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix come in a close second.
Mug brownie recipe mix-in ideas:
This recipe has a love/hate relationship with my readers. Some people love it, some hate it. We’ve made it our mission to try ALL of the suggestions left below and here are a few of our FAVORITE mix in ideas:
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- A spoonful of Nutella
- Vanilla Extract
- Mayonnaise – Seems weird but a heaping teaspoon gives the brownies a fudgier finish.
- Chopped pieces of your favorite candy bar.
- Chopped nuts.
- Mini marshmallows.
- Crumbled cookies (hello OREO’s!)
- Top with frosting or ice cream
Last tip, use a BIG mug or two smaller mugs.
- Nutella Mug Cake
- Brownie Cookies
- Guinness Brownies
- The BEST Brownie Recipe
- Chocolate Mug Cake
- Chocolate Chip Mug Muffin
- 1/2 cup unprepared brownie mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- Ice cream chocolate chips, or whipped cream (optional)
See comments for great suggestions from my readers! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Substitute the water for coffee.
- 1 teaspoon of Nutella and 2 tablespoons water
- Add a heaping teaspoon of mayonnaise
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 6g
Pin for later: