Sharing is caring!
This is the very best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe! Made with brown sugar for a slight molasses flavor and an entire cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
My son is the ultimate lover of oatmeal cookies. He never misses a chance to try a new recipe and was insanely excited when I told him I was going to add chocolate chips to this batch.
His only request was that they be “puffy” and have extra sweetness.
To accomplish this, I opted to use a little white and brown sugar and chill the dough before baking. The end result is a sweet cookie that has a hint of molasses flavor and perfectly puffed.
Oatmeal Cookie Ingredients:
- Butter- This is the fat component of the cookie that gives your cookie structure and texture.
- Sugar- Regular ol’ white sugar.
- Brown Sugar- This recipe goes half and half, white and brown sugar. The brown sugar gives a slight molasses flavor to the oats which is amazing and delicious.
- Eggs- Your binding agent. Use large eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla- Pure vanilla extract! Do not use imitation.
- All-Purpose Flour- Regular white flour that is found in the baking aisle of your local grocer.
- Baking Soda- This is the leavening agent. It gives your cookie lift. One tip, be sure to use fresh baking soda. The longer it sits in the pantry the less effective it will be.
- Salt- Just a touch. This is a flavor enhancer which makes the cinnamon and vanilla stand out.
- Cinnamon- This is an optional ingredient, but one we really suggest you use.
- Oats- See below for notes on the types of oats to use in cookies.
- Chocolate Chips- Now, I like semi-sweet, but milk chocolate will work too!
Rolled oats or quick oats for cookies?
Here is the deal… I used quick oats because that is what we always have on hand. I asked my sister to test the recipe and she used rolled oats. Both turned out delicious. For this cookie recipe, they are interchangeable. We did notice that the cookies made with rolled oats soaked up more liquid and needed to be baked for less time.
How to make oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or silicone liners and set aside.
- Combine the butter and two sugars in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, roughly 4 minutes.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into the butter mixture.
- Fold in the oats and the chocolate chips.
- Optional, chill the dough at least 1 hour or up to 8.
- Scoop the cookie dough into round balls that are 1/4 cup per cookie, and place 3 inches apart on the tray.
- Bake 10 minutes, or just until the edges are slightly browned. Cool on the tray.
Tips for perfect Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe every time:
- Invest in a silicone baking mat. These things are gold in my kitchen. They are so amazing for so many different things, but above all… They keep my cookies from sticking to the pan. Oh, and did I mention they are reusable??
- Use a cookie scoop for even cookie sizes.
- OR use a measuring cup. I mention above that I really love big thick cookies. This 1/4 cup measuring cup is what I use to get even sizing.
- Chill your dough for a little fluff. Chilling the batter helps the butter solidify giving you a little extra lift to your cookie.
- Freeze the cookie dough in pre measured balls for a quick grab-and-bake dessert treat when the mood strikes.
Links above are affiliate links that I earn a percentage of. These links are only to products I use and love in my own kitchen and honestly recommend.
More Cookie Recipes:
- The Very Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Classic Oatmeal Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Flat and Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
More Dessert Recipes:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or silicone liners and set aside.
2. Combine the butter and two sugars in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, roughly 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
4. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into the butter mixture.
5. Fold in the oats and the chocolate chips.
6. Optional, chill the dough at least 1 hour or up to 8.
7. Scoop the cookie dough into round balls that are 1/4 cup per cookie, and place 3 inches apart on the tray.
8. Bake 10 minutes, or just until the edges are slightly browned. Cool on the tray.