This perfect oatmeal cookies recipe is soft and chewy perfection! Made with brown sugar and the perfect base for add-ins!
We made this recipe one hundred billion times in the last month. Ok, not really. But we did make it five times. Testing, adjusting, testing some more. I wanted this oatmeal cookie to be the best you have ever tasted.
Happy to announce, that after a few failed attempts, I have the ultimate of ultimate, BEST Chewy oatmeal cookies ready to share!
- Freezer Friendly
Simple Oatmeal Cookies Ingredients
- Butter- Or “butta” as my eleven year old refers to it. This is the fat component of the cookie that gives your cookie structure and texture.
- Sugar- Regular ol’ white sugar.
- Brown Sugar- This recipe goes half and half, white and brown sugar. The brown sugar gives a slight molasses flavor to the oats which is amazing and delicious.
- Eggs- Your binding agent. Use large eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla- Pure vanilla extract! Do not use imitation.
- All-Purpose Flour- Regular white flour that is found in the baking aisle of your local grocer.
- Baking Soda- This is the leavening agent. It gives your cookie lift. One tip, be sure to use fresh baking soda. The longer it sits in the pantry the less effective it will be.
- Salt- Just a touch. This is a flavor enhancer which makes the cinnamon and vanilla stand out.
- Cinnamon- This is an optional ingredient, but one we really suggest you use.
- Oats- See below for notes on the types of oats to use in cookies.
Rolled oats or quick oats for cookies?
Here is the deal… I used quick oats because that is what we always have on hand. I asked my sister to test the recipe and she used rolled oats. Both turned out delicious. For this cookie recipe, they are interchangeable. We did notice that the cookies made with rolled oats soaked up more liquid and needed to be baked for less time.
How to make a chewy oatmeal cookie recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or silicone liners and set aside.
- Combine the butter and two sugars in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, roughly 4 minutes.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into the butter mixture.
- Fold in the oats. Scoop the cookie dough into round balls, about 2 tablespoons per cookie, and place 2 inches apart on the tray.
- Bake 8 to ten minutes, or just until the edges are slightly browned.
Here’s the skinny on this recipe. I reeeeeally like big puffy cookies. Everyone else in my household leans firmly into the “flat but still chewy” cookie fandom. SO, if you want your cookies to be a little more flat, follow the instructions below. For a more full or thick cookie, scoop 1/4 cup of dough per cookie and bake just 10 minutes. Let them cool on the pan before removing.
Tips for perfect cookies every time:
- Invest in a silicone baking mat. These things are gold in my kitchen. They are so amazing for so many different things, but above all… They keep my cookies from sticking to the pan. Oh, and did I mention they are reusable??
- Use a cookie scoop for even cookie sizes.
- OR use a measuring cup. I mention above that I really love big thick cookies. This 1/4 cup measuring cup is what I use to get even sizing.
- Chill your dough for a little fluff. Chilling the batter helps the butter solidify giving you a little extra lift to your cookie.
- Freeze the cookie dough in pre measured balls for a quick grab-and-bake dessert treat when the mood strikes.
Links above are affiliate links that I earn a percentage of. These links are only to products I use and love in my own kitchen and honestly recommend.
More Cookie Recipes:
- The Very Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Copycat Oreo Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
More Dessert Recipes:
Oatmeal Cookies Recipe (chewy)
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups oats
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment or silicone liners and set aside.
- 2. Combine the butter and two sugars in a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, roughly 4 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
- 4. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix into the butter mixture.
- 5. Fold in the oats. Scoop the cookie dough into round balls, about 2 tablespoons per cookie, and place 2 inches apart on the tray.
- 6. Bake 8 to ten minutes, or just until the edges are slightly browned.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Pin for later:
Still hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
Leave a Review!