How to make no-churn ice cream- This super simple ice cream recipe uses two base ingredients and NO ice cream maker! Ready for the freezer in under 10 minutes and unlimited flavor options!
This post was originally published Jun 29, 2012. It has since been updated to include new photos and helpful information.
What if I told you that you could make creamy delicious homemade ice cream without an ice cream machine?
Mind blown? Mine was too.
It was eight years ago that I stumbled onto this little gem of a recipe. I wish I remembered who gave it to me. Because they would get a giant thank you!
Since starting to make our own ice cream with this super simple no-churn version, I have expanded to include dozens of flavor options. But it’s important to get the base right. So let’s dive right in, shall we?
No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients:
This recipe is for a very basic vanilla ice cream. That means the ingredient list is only three items long. Technically, you only need two. The third is a flavor boost that sends things over the top! Here is what you need…
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- This is what replaces the sugar. I have tried dozens of brands and they all turn out similar. Which means I reach for the off brand to save a little money.
- Heavy Cream- This is what gives you the light and airy texture that traditional ice cream has.
- Vanilla Extract- Always use pure vanilla, never imitation.
What does no churn mean?
Churning ice cream is when a base is turned and frozen at the same time. This breaks up larger ice crystals making it smooth and creamy. The sweetened condensed milk in this recipe has already been cooked down and has less water. That means you will naturally get a creamy finish without the need to constantly turn.
How to make ice cream without an ice cream maker:
To make this ice cream you will need a few kitchen items.
- A good mixing bowl, like this one.
- A stand or hand mixer.
- An airtight container that is freezer safe.
- Silicone spatula, to wipe the side of the bowl and mix things in.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and stir to fully incorporate.
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. I find it easier to use a stand or hand mixer for this process and it typically takes 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid, about 8 hours.
The links above are affiliate links. I earn a small portion of sales. These links are only inserted with items I love and use in my own kitchen.
Looking for a more original style ice cream? I suggest starting with my creamy vanilla.
How to make other flavors of ice cream:
This recipe is extremely easy to adapt. I have included a great list below with versions we have made and love. The process is the same, the only difference is the ingredient list.
Any ingredient you want to add, like crushed cookies or fruit, should be stirred into the sweetened condensed milk before you fold in the heavy cream. Follow the remaining instructions and freeze.
Other No-Churn Ice Cream Flavors:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- No Churn Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream
- Chocolate Swirl No-Churn Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- No Machine Cake Batter Ice Cream
- Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
- Caramel Pretzel Ice Cream
How to Make No-Churn Ice Cream
- 1- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- 2. Whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the milk mixture until combined.
- 3. Transfer to an air tight container. Freeze overnight, or at least 8 hours.
- 4. Serve with your favorite ice cream toppings or as is!