These homemade Oatmeal Cream pies are a classic sandwich cookie. Soft with a fluffy filling in the middle making these better than the original!
Last summer I had the opportunity to move to North Carolina for a work project.
Those five months were a blur of pool time, checking out the sights, and good friends. To this day I daydream about that beautiful green landscape, Sunday’s checking out new vineyards, and wine Wednesday’s with my favorite girls.
I blame all of those ladies for my addiction to the bachelorette. We giggled and laughed our way through that season and cheered when our least favorites got the boot.
While there, one of my favorite couples brought us a delicious oatmeal cream pie from a local bakery.
I have had these little cream filled cakes stuck on my mind ever since. It took a few tries but this recipe has to be the BEST cookie I have ever eaten.
THE. BEST. EVER.
I could eat 50 of these oatmeal sandwich cookies all on my own.
What is an oatmeal cream pie?
Oatmeal cream pies are the very FIRST snack baked under the Little Debbie brand name. They come in a box, individually packaged, making them ideal for lunch or after school treats. But what exactly is an oatmeal cream pie?
A sweet vanilla filling is sandwiched between two thin, soft, and chewy oatmeal cookies. The flavor combination is out of this world and a cookie recipe that is hard to share.
What ingredients are in an oatmeal cream pie?
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it has a list of ingredients that should be fairly familiar. Close to the classic oatmeal cookie, you will start with the same general ingredients:
- Brown sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
Paired with fresh dry ingredients you get a soft cookie that is drool worthy. The vanilla filling consists of powdered sugar, butter, pure vanilla extract, and a little heavy cream.
What kind of oats should you use in a cookie recipe?
While you can technically use any variety, this recipe for oatmeal cookies calls for quick cooking oats.
Quick cooking oats have been roughly chopped. The smaller pieces allows for a faster cooking time giving you a softer and chewier cookie.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
How to make Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies:
Oatmeal Cream Pies
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter soft
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- For the filling:
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie trays with parchment paper.
- Cream together the brown sugar with the 6 tablespoons of softened butter. Add the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Stir into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the oats and hot water. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto your prepared sheets leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- For the filling: Whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla. Beat until a creamy consistency is achieved. Spread 1 tablespoon of filling into the middle of two cookies