This homemade coconut cream pie recipe is simply the best. Quick and easy to make and packed with coconut flavor!
The Best Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
This no bake coconut cream pie is a staple for us. It is so stinken easy to make and the flavor is out of this world! All together, it takes me maybe 30 minutes to put together. The hardest part? Waiting for it to chill before digging in!
I have to admit, this recipe is slightly adapted from my very favorite pie cookbook, First Prize Pies. It has about a million pies that all are incredible. If you are on the market, check it out! It’s a beautiful addition to any collection of cookbooks. I took her recipe, my old recipe, and combined the two to make one INCREDIBLE pie.
What is coconut cream pie made of?
So, I’ve talked you into making the pie… What ingredients will you need? The list might surprise you. Most of the items are probably already on hand!
- Coconut milk
- Half and half
- Vanilla extract
One of the things I really enjoy about this recipe is that it is a coconut cream pie with coconut milk. That means you have coconut milk in the custard AND toasted coconut. Double the flavor.
Does coconut cream pie need to be refrigerated?
This recipe does need to be refrigerated. If left out on the counter longer than 2 hours, it could grow harmful bacteria. Be sure to store your pie securely wrapped inside the refrigerator before serving.
This recipe calls for toasted coconut. Most varieties in the store are NOT toasted previously. But don’t fret! It is super simple to toast coconut at home in your oven.
How to toast coconut:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread coconut flakes onto a baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5, or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
How to make coconut cream pie:
1. Combine the sugar, flour, salt, and egg in a heavy bottomed pan. Whisk until fully incorporated. Whisk in the coconut milk and half and half.
2. Heat the mixture to a boil making sure to stir it consistently to avoid burning. Remove the mixture when slightly thickened.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat. Stir in 1 cup of toasted coconut. Pour into your prepared pie crust.
4. Cover securely and chill 4 hours or up to overnight.
5. Top with whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
The Best Coconut Cream Pie
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cup coconut milk*
- 1 cup half and half
- 1-1/4 cup toasted coconut divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- 1- 9 ” pie crust fully baked
- 1. Combine the sugar, flour, salt, and egg in a heavy bottomed pan. Whisk until fully incorporated. Whisk in the coconut milk and half and half.
- 2. Heat the mixture to a boil making sure to stir it consistently to avoid burning. Remove the mixture when slightly thickened.
- 3. Remove the mixture from the heat. Stir in 1 cup of toasted coconut. Pour into your prepared pie crust.
- 4. Cover securely and chill 4 hours or up to overnight.
- 5. Top with whipped cream and remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Still hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
Comments & Reviews
Did you put the pie in the fridge overnight before putting the meringue on it? When I do the meringue on pies it ends up weeping and runny between the meringue and the pie filling. What would make this happen?
Kathleen Clegg says
Looks really good. I’m making Coconut Cream Pie for my mom’s birthday party on Saturday. You make pretty pies.
This looks incredible! Your meringue turned out perfect too. Definitely going to make this for the holidays.
Amazing! My brother would love this!
aimee @ like mother like daughter says
yum. I love cream pies and I love coconut. I usually go the lazy route and use pudding. This looks delicious!
marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings says
I am seriously drooling this looks absolutely amazing!
Jill @ BeingSpiffy says
You do realize that coconut cream pie is my faaaaaavorite, right? Mmm…
Yvonne @ TriedandTasty says
You are on a roll with pie week – I’m loving every post!!! You are going to convert me by the end of the week – this looks AMAZING!!! PINNING!
This looks delicious! I love coconut pie!