Death by chocolate cupcake recipe. Rich chocolate cupcakes are topped with a dark chocolate frosting, dipped in crushed Oreo cookies, and garnished with a Milano cookie designed to look like a tombstone. Perfect for a quick Halloween treat!
Two new obsessions: Halloween recipes and CHOCOLATE.
In an effort to combine the two I decided it was time for Death By Chocolate Cupcakes. This decadent chocolate cupcake recipe is incredibly rich and delicious all on its own. Top with cookie crumbs for a faux dirt and easy headstones made of cookies!
Be prepared to have all of your chocolate dreams come true. These cupcakes are packed with flavor and the simple design is perfect for even a novice baker (trust me, I’m terrible at cake decorating!).
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe Ingredients:
The list below is JUST for the cupcake portion of this recipe. They really are the star and unbelievably delicious. Like, I have to hide these cupcakes while I am decorating them or they will start to disappear as people snag them.
- Butter- Salted is what I prefer, but most use unsalted.
- Sugar- Regular white sugar.
- Chocolate- To be specific, a chocolate bar that is pure chocolate and free of crisps or nuts.
- Eggs- Large eggs at room temperature.
- Oil- Vegetable oil is what I use, because it is what I have on hand. Canola, avocado, or coconut will work as well.
- Vanilla- Always use pure vanilla extract!
- Sour Cream- Full fat sour cream. This adds a slight tang and moisture to the cake.
- Flour- Regular all-purpose flour.
- Salt and Baking Soda- A flavor enhancer and leavening agent.
- Cocoa Powder- Regular cocoa powder that is found in the baking aisle of your local grocer.
- Coffee- Or water. But coffee takes the flavor over the top without adding additional flavor to the cake.
How to Make Headstone Halloween Cupcakes:
- Oval Cookies- Like Milano’s.
- Black Frosting- To write on the “headstone”
- Crushed Chocolate Sandwich Cookies- This will be the dirt on your cupcake. I find it best to add a handful of cookies to a blender and pulse until a fine texture is achieved.
- Chocolate Frosting- You will spread a little frosting onto a cooled cupcake, dip in cookie crumbs and gently press down to hold, and slide a cookie into the top. Easy peasy.
All of the design magic happens with a pack of Milano cookies and a tube of black frosting. Following the flavor theme we decided to give these cupcakes a tombstone topper with a few quick and fun sayings. I picked the best side of each cookie and piped out a few of our favorite spooky Halloween sayings.
DO NOT DISTURB
Dip your frosted cupcakes in crushed Oreo cookies for a fresh dug grave look and stick your cookie right into the top! Spooky treats ready to be devoured.
More Halloween Recipes:
More Cupcake Recipes:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. chocolate, melted (I used a Hershey bar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coffee
- Chocolate frosting
- 5 oreo cookies (optional)
- 12 Milano cookies (optional)
- black frosting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line one muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Whisk together your flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa until it’s smooth and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the melted chocolate, eggs, oil, vanilla, and sour cream. Once that is fully combined add in your dry ingredients followed by the coffee.
- Fill your liners 2/3 full and bake for 16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting.
- Crush the Oreo cookies. Dip the tops of your frosted cupcakes in the crumble.
- Use the black frosting to write on the tops of each Milano cookie. Stick into the top of your cupcake.