This rich and decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe is easy to make and the perfect dessert for any occasion! Made with bittersweet chocolate, sugar, butter, and eggs.
This cake has it all. It is rich, decadent, and the perfect way to indulge.
Truth be told, I had never had a flourless cake before this one. It was nothing like I had expected. Instead of a light and airy cake I am used to, this is dense and very very rich in flavor.
We call it our special occasion cake. I make this for family birthdays and holidays. It tastes amazing, and looks stunning, served with fresh fruit and a dust of powdered sugar. An easy show stopper that will have everyone in awe of your baking talents.
Flourless chocolate cake ingredients:
Flourless chocolate cake is made with a chocolate custard base. Sometimes called the “fallen” cake, it is dense in texture and rich in flavor. This cake is perfect for those with a sweet tooth or if you are looking to celebrate a special occasion. The ingredient list is as follows:
- bittersweet chocolate
- pure vanilla extract
- egg whites beaten to stiff peaks
Should flourless chocolate cake be refrigerated?
This cake recipe does not need to be refrigerated. However, we like ours chilled. The flavor betters with time, so make it a day early and pull it out of the refrigerator 2 hours before you are ready to serve.
Is flourless chocolate cake gluten free?
Flourless chocolate cake is not necessarily gluten free. However, most of the ingredients used should make this a gluten free recipe. Be sure to check all of your ingredients before serving to your gluten free friends.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
How to make flourless chocolate cake:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate, I used chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Line the inside of a 10 inch spring form pan with parchment. Lightly mist with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Combine the water, salt, and sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat to a simmer and stir until all of the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the butter and chocolate in a glass or heat proof bowl. Melt in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- Place your melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until cool. Add the dissolved sugar mixture followed by the eggs and egg whites. Stir until fully incorporated and pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes. The middle will look wet, but don’t worry it is finished. Allow to cool 20 minutes then transfer to your refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Serve with ice cream or your favorite fruit!