I’ve whipped up a copycat Chick-Fil-A mac and cheese recipe that’s so ridiculously close to the real deal, you’ll be doing a double-take. This isn’t just any mac and cheese; it’s a golden, gooey journey to flavor town, minus the drive-thru line. Tie on your apron, and let’s get this cheesy show on the road!
Why You’ll Love this Chick-Fil-A Copycat
- Budget-Friendly: Dining out adds up fast. Making it at home is kinder to your wallet, especially if you’re feeding a crowd.
- Bragging Rights: Impress friends and family with your culinary skills. Nothing beats the oohs and aahs when you nail a famous recipe.
- Comfort of Home: Enjoy your creamy, dreamy mac and cheese in your PJs. No lines, no waiting, just straight-up comfort.
This copycat recipe may be my favorite yet, and that is saying a lot since there are over 60! Something about Chick-Fil-A’s mac and cheese just screams comfort. It’s so rich and creamy. I know because I selflessly ate at least four bowls in the name of research. I can confidently say that this creamy mac is almost identical to the original recipe!
This macaroni and cheese is a creamy, dreamy cheese wonderland that’s rich, comforting, and satisfyingly tangy. Each bite is a perfect blend of melty cheeses, with a hint of smokiness and a velvety texture that’s just pure bliss. And let’s not forget that golden melty cheese top layer! It adds the perfect finishing touch to this ultimate comfort dish. It’s like a cheesy hug for your taste buds.
Copycat Chick-Fil-A Mac and Cheese Ingredients
This recipe uses simple ingredients which makes it a must-save. Really, just a blend of cheeses and milk make up the base!
- Noodles: I used classic macaroni noodles in this homemade version. Could you use other noodles? For sure!
- Flour: Just a touch of flour to whisk in with melted butter to create what is called a roux.
- Butter: A roux is what makes the best mac. Melted butter and flour are whisked together to create a thickening paste. It works magic with the combination of cheeses!
- Milk: I opt for whole milk. It gives you a rich and creamy finish. You could also use 2% or a mix of 2% and heavy cream.
- Cheese: This recipe uses a few different kinds of cheese. First, American cheese- like Kraft cheese singles. You will also need sharp cheddar cheese, white cheddar cheese, Romano cheese and parmesan cheese. My only tip is to shred your own cheese. Don’t buy the pre-shredded cheese options.
- Salt and Pepper: Keep it simple with the seasoning. All you need is salt and pepper.
Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese Recipe
- PREP: Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- ROUX: Place the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in the flour until a thin paste forms. For the best results, let the mixture cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- CHEESE SAUCE: Slowly whisk in the milk, being sure to stir constantly to get a smooth mix. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the milk begins to thicken. Stir in the different types of cheeses with the salt and pepper until melted.
- MIX: Remove from the heat and add the cooked noodles.
- OPTIONAL: For that cheesy topping, sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and cover with a lid to allow the cheese topping to melt. We like to serve this with a side of oven-roasted frozen broccoli!
- Large Pot: (affiliate) For boiling the mac and cooking it just right.
- Colander: (affiliate) Essential for draining your pasta perfectly.
- Cheese Grater: (affiliate) Freshly grated cheese melts better and tastes fresher.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: (affiliate) For precise ingredient measurements.
Chick-Fil-A’s mac and cheese typically features a blend of cheeses like cheddar, Parmesan, and Romano for that rich, creamy texture and tangy flavor.
The key is to make a smooth roux as the base of your cheese sauce and then gradually add milk and cheese, stirring continuously. This ensures a silky, creamy consistency.
Feel free to experiment! Some popular add-ins include bacon bits, jalapeños for a spicy kick, or breadcrumbs on top for extra crunch.
Yes, you can prepare it in advance and refrigerate it. When you’re ready to serve, reheat it in the oven or on the stove, adding a splash of milk if needed to maintain creaminess.
After assembling your mac and cheese in a baking dish, sprinkle some extra cheese on top and bake it in the oven until the top is golden and bubbly.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove over low heat, adding a little milk or cream to keep it moist and creamy.
Yes, it freezes well. Just thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat as usual.
It usually keeps well for about 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
More Fun Copycat Recipes
Copycat Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow noodles
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 4 slices American cheese like Kraft singles
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted whisk in the flour until a thin paste forms. For the best results, let the mixture cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, being sure to stir constantly to get a smooth mix.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the milk begins to thicken.
- Stir in all of the cheeses with the salt and pepper. Stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked noodles.
- Optional, for that cheesy topping, sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and cover with a lid to allow the cheese topping to melt.