These easy baked chicken taquitos are crispy and delicious! Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner recipe or freezer meal.
This post was originally published on Feb 19, 2014. It has since been updated.
If you were to ask my husband, these taquitos are the only recipe we ever need in our freezer. He LOVES them.
And I do too. They are relatively simple to make, the ingredient list isn’t crazy, and they taste incredible. Even my picky eater will request these on occasion!
Chicken Taquito Recipe with Cream Cheese
Ingredients for shredded chicken taquitos:
- Cream cheese
- Green salsa
- Lime juice
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Green onion
- Shredded chicken
We like to use rotisserie chicken or a salsa slow cooker chicken (recipe coming soon). Any leftover chicken that has been cooked and shredded will work perfectly.
Tip for this recipe:
My favorite way to shred my chicken (and mix up the filling) is to toss it straight into the bowl of my kitchen aid and use the paddle attachment.
This “hack” is the most used in my home. Place warm chicken in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for a minute or two. Perfectly shredded chicken ready in just a few easy steps.
How to cook taquitos in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment. Set them aside for later.
- Mix together the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, red pepper flakes, cilantro, green onions, chicken, and cheese.
- Place one tortilla on a work surface. Spoon 3 tablespoons of your filling onto the lower third of your tortilla. Roll tightly and place onto your prepared sheets. Continue until the rest of your mixture is used. Spray your taquitos with non-stick spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake your taquitos for 15 minutes and enjoy!
How to freeze chicken taquitos:
- Follow the recipe through spraying with non-stick spray and sprinkling with salt.
- Place the taquitos in the freezer for twenty minutes.
- Once flash frozen you can stick them into a big Ziploc and keep on hand for later.
- When you are ready to eat just stick them into the preheated oven and follow the directions above.
Like this recipe? You will love my: