This easy Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe is a Taco Tuesday staple! Roasted tomatillo’s, peppers, onion, and garlic are blended together with spices for the perfect side dish. Great served with chips, tacos, enchiladas and more.
Make it a meal by serving with Chicken Taquitos, Southwest Chicken Salad topping, or as the ultimate chip dip.
- EASY: This is what I would consider a beginner recipe. It is incredibly simple to make, with TWO cooking variations.
- Long Lasting: Once cooled, and placed in an airtight container, this salsa can last up to 4-5 days.
- Perfect Side: Or condiment recipe. This is such a simple way to elevate your breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Making salsa is probably one of my favorite things to do. Not only is this salsa verde recipe super simple to make, it tastes SO much better than the jar version found in stores. Fresh ingredients give you a tang with just a touch of spike. My go-to way to jazz up any meal.
GREEN SALSA INGREDIENTS
There are two ways we like to make this recipe; boil cooking or roasting. Both are equally delicious in their own ways and start with the same ingredients.
- Tomatillos: I find these in the produce section of most grocers, normally close to the jalapenos. They come covered in a husk with tiny green tomato looking fruit inside.
- Peppers: serrano or jalapeno. Whichever pepper you decide will depend on how spicy you’d like your salsa. Serrano peppers tend to be about double the hotness of a jalapeno.
- Onion: I really enjoy yellow or white onion for this salsa, but you can make it with whatever onion type you have on hand.
- Garlic: FRESH garlic. You want to skip the minced garlic for this recipe.
- Cilantro: Not a fan? Neither am I. However, cilantro is key in this recipe. It is not overpowering and adds just the right amount of flavor.
- Lime: A squeeze of lime gives that fresh citrus taste and helps to blend the flavors together.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN TOMATILLO SAUCE
There are two simple ways to make this recipe, as stated above. Our favorite? Roasting.
- To roast the vegetables, simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and layer the halved tomatillos, quartered onion, and peppers onto the tray.
- Drizzle with oil and lightly season with salt. Toss to combine.
- Peel the garlic cloves and wrap tightly in foil. Add to the tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatillos are nice and soft.
From there it’s all a matter of adding the ingredients to your blender and pulsing until smooth. Pro tip? Wait to add the salt until you are done. Season lightly, taste, and add more as needed.
For the boiling method, simply add all of the ingredients to a pot and simmer. Blend and enjoy.
HOMEMADE GREEN SALSA TIPS AND FAQS
This homemade salsa will easily last up to 5 days if stored properly.
We have found that the best way to store salsa is in an airtight container or mason jar. Once cooled, keep stored in the refrigerator.
No. It may be tempting, especially if you are not a fan, but cilantro is key in creating the perfect blend of flavors.
The best peppers to use for this recipe are serrano or jalapeno. Whichever pepper you decide will depend on how spicy you’d like your salsa. Serrano peppers tend to be about double the hotness of a jalapeno.
MORE SAUCES AND DIPS TO TRY
Still Hungry? Follow One Sweet Appetite on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- 1 pound tomatillos husk removed, rinsed, and sliced in half
- 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 onion about 1/4 cup, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Water if needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment and spread the tomatillos, peppers, onion, and foil wrapped garlic.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until fragrant and soft.
- Carefully transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender. Add the cilantro and lime juice. Pulse until a salsa texture, adding water if needed.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Allow the salsa to cool completely before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @1sweetappetite and follow pinterest for more!
Leave a Review!