This post was updated on by
This Margarita Chicken starts with a simple marinade and is grilled OR cooked stove top making it the perfect easy dinner idea! Great over rice or shredded in tacos.
Special thanks to Pompeian for sponsoring this post.
We are always on the hunt for super easy dinner ideas. This chicken, while it has a long list of ingredients, is as easy as it comes.
The hardest part about making this chicken recipe is combining the ingredients for the marinade and giving it a good stir.
The flavors mimic a margarita and give the chicken the most incredibly flavor. Top things off with some fresh pico and a squeeze of lime for the ultimate grilled or baked chicken!
How to make margarita marinade:
- Combine olive oil, cilantro, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid margarita mix, lime juice, orange juice, tequila, triple sec, garlic, and apricot preserves in a large zip top bag. Mix to combine.
- Add 2-4 chicken breasts to the bag. Seal and lay flat in the refrigerator.
- Let sit 4-24 hours before cooking.
Margarita Chicken ingredients:
- Margarita marinade (see above)
- Chicken breast
How to grill margarita chicken:
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Grill chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
How to cook margarita chicken on the stove:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron or oven safe pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side or until just browned.
Transfer to the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Pompeian Olive Oil, divided
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup margarita mix
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 4 Chicken Breast Halves
- Combine the first 12 ingredients (1/2 cup olive oil) in a large Ziploc bag. Add your chicken breasts, seal closed, and refrigerate at least 4 hours but ideally 24 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron or oven safe pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side or until just browned.
- Transfer to the oven and cook 15-20 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.