These perfect Lemon Bars have just the right amount of citrus flavor and are topped on a buttery crust! Easy to make and the best dessert recipe for spring!
These lemon bars are simply the best. I can not help but eat more than one every time I whip up a batch!
The sweet and soft crust is topped with a tart custard that just pairs oh-so well together. Dust with just a hint of powdered sugar and you have got yourself a pan filled with lemony goodness. It is like sunshine baked right into a tiny tart like treat.
Anyone that knows me understands that my love for all things citrus runs deep. So of course I feel like these should be number one on your summer must-make list.
Take them to a barbecue and watch them disappear before your eyes. You will instantly become the magician of the kitchen and people will be begging for the recipe.
Truth be told, I would pick these lemon packed bars over chocolate any day of the week. Something about the refreshing lemon pulls me in and wins my heart.
How to make lemon bars:
- Start with the crust. Add soft butter, sugar, flour, and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Using the paddle attachment, stir on medium speed until combined and soft.
- Spread into a prepared 9×13 baking pan and press down gently with your fingers or the bottom of a measuring cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fragrant.
- For the filling, you want to make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Combine sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Whisk vigorously until all ingredients are fully incorporated. This will be your beautiful custard filling.
- Pour into your prepared crust. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until the center is set.
TIP: Try topping these with homemade candy lemon slices!
Tips for perfect lemon bars:
- Line your pan. In a pinch, you can use butter to grease the pan and avoid the liner. It is easier to use parchment paper or foil for easy lifting when your bars are done cooking and cooling.
- Use room temperature eggs. Be sure to remove the eggs about 30 minutes before you are ready to cook.
- Use fresh and ripe lemons. These will give you the best flavor.
Can you leave lemon bars out overnight?
I would not recommend leaving your bars out at room temperature. Since these bars have an egg based custard, it is safer to store in the refrigerator.
Like this recipe? You will love my:
For the crust:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the lemon filling:
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- powdered sugar optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a 9×13 pan and set aside.
For the crust:
- Cream the butter with the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment. This should take 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Press into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
For the filling:
- While the crust is cooling, whisk together the sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Pour over the crust and bake and additional 20 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Refrigerate until chilled, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy.