These lemon pie bars are topped with a sweet meringue topping giving them the perfect combination of tart and sweet!
Moment of honesty? I can bake pie, but I prefer not to. My pies always taste great, but I can never get it to look like those beautiful pie photos you see on the web. Luckily, I found that it is fairly simple to turn your favorite pie into a bar!
I tested this theory with one of my go-to flavors. Enter these: Lemon Meringue pie bars!.
- Quick and Easy
- Hand Held Treat
Ingredients for Lemon Pie Bars:
I already have an amazing lemon bar recipe, but the meringue on top seemed to add just a touch of pie goodness. Fluffy whipped egg whites with a touch of sugar and fresh lemon juice gives the topping a kick of tartness that really sends these over the edge.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Lemon juice
How to make lemon bars with meringue topping:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in the butter and 3 egg yolks (make sure it’s just the yolk and save the whites for later). Press into your prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Cool
- While your crust is cooling combine the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Pour over the crust.
- In a clean bowl whip 4 egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peeks form. Spread over your bars and bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Craving more lemon? Try my Lemon Coconut Cupcakes!
Tips for this Recipe:
For this recipe, I opted for a more classic pie crust. Except I made it super easy. All you have to do is toss the ingredients and gently press them into your prepared pan! Just like that you have a base ready for the oven that is filled with buttery goodness.
Here are a few of our other favorite crusts to pair with this recipe:
- Vanilla wafer crust
- Shortbread cookie crust
- Classic pie crust
Like this recipe? You will love my:
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- Zest from two lemons
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 cup sugar. Cut in the butter and 3 egg yolks (make sure it's just the yolk and save the whites for later). Press into your prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Cool
3. While your crust is cooling combine the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Pour over the crust.
4. In a clean bowl whip 4 egg whites until foamy. Slowly add the 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peeks form. Spread over your bars and bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g
Pin for later:
Lemon not your thing? Good news! I have an entire list of amazing Pie Recipes for you to sink your teeth into. Check out what my friends have cooking up:
Creamy Lemon and Blueberry Pie // Dessert Now Dinner Later
Pecan Hand Pies // Tried and Tasty
Lemon Pie Bars // One Sweet Appetite
No Bake Chocolate Mint Oreo Pie // Life Made Sweeter
Irish Cream Pies // Sugar & Soul
No Bake Strawberry Lemon Cream Pie // A Kitchen Addiction
Samoa Pie // Eazy Peazy Mealz
Mile High Fudge Brownie Pie // A Dash of Sanity
Cherry Pie Bars // Cupcake Diaries
Caramel Banana Cream Pie // Like Mother Like Daughter
Coconut Cream Pie // Lemon Tree Dwelling
Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pie // The Love Nerds