Well, this has been a week of epic kitchen fails for me. If you follow me on Facebook I asked if you all wanted to see a coconut lime cupcake. I was sooooo excited to make another cupcake cake mix hack and gave it a good go three times before throwing in the towel. I just couldn’t get a good coconut flavor in the cake. I wasn’t willing to give in completely so I rolled up my sleeves and searched the fridge for a spring time ingredient. I pulled out a bag of fresh lemons and decided lemon pound cake was the way to go!
I found this recipe and adapted it slightly from Land o’ Lakes. I love the idea of a sweet lemon glaze on top but found that my family gobbled this up without the extra bit of sweetness. It’s unbelievable with a few cut up strawberries and some coconut whipped cream!
This really is a wonderful spring time treat. It’s light with a hint of citrus flavor. Try creating cute little mason jar cakes topped with berries for your next picnic or tossing it in the microwave for a few seconds and topping it with some cold ice cream! Simple and delicious.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and generously grease a large bundt pan.
- Mix together the sugar and the lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment until fragrant and well combined. Add the softened butter and continue to beat until fluffy. Stir in the eggs one at a time.
- Shift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into your wet ingredients along with the milk, lemon juice, and lemon extract.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.