This post was updated on by
The best Nutella Mug Cake Recipe you will find! This recipe has minimal ingredients, whips up in under five minutes, and tastes amazing!
I am OBSESSED with mug recipes.
Truth. I cannot help myself. Especially when I have a sweet tooth and do not want to find myself face to face with a pan of brownies. I would eat them all…
After making my 2 ingredient mug brownies over and over… I decided it was time to venture on to a new recipe. Enter this:
Microwave Nutella Mug Cake Recipe
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are the best invention of all time. It is exactly what it sounds like, cake made in a mug. Ideal for a quick sweet tooth fix, individual serving, or late night treat. Most mug cake recipes call for basic ingredients and are cooked in the microwave making them incredibly simple to make.
I kid you not, this recipe tastes like a cake you pulled straight out of the oven.
How to make the best microwave mug cakes:
- Use real baking ingredients. While I do have a soft spot in my heart for my brownie mix and cake mix versions, the really good cakes start with all purpose flour.
- Make sure your ingredients are fresh. You want to use a fresh baking powder and egg. This will ensure you get a good rise during the cooking process.
- Watch your cake closely. I have made this cake many, many, times. I know that two minutes gets me a moist, decedent, perfectly cooked cake every time. When I first tried the recipe I started with 90 seconds and worked my way up. Keep a close eye on your cake to avoid burning.
Ingredients for a mug cake:
- Baking Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Cocoa powder
How to make gooey Nutella mug cake:
Combine all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
Divide into two mugs (or one large mug). Microwave 2 minutes* or until your cake is cooked through.
Be warned… You need to use two smaller mugs or one very large mug for this recipe. If you try to pour all of the batter into a little coffee mug you will end up with a mess in your microwave.
You will also find it extremely difficult to share. It is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings!
Like this recipe? You will love my:
*Recipe Tip: *Cooking time will vary depending on if you are making one cake in a large mug vs two in regular sized mugs. I suggest starting at 90 seconds and working your way up to 2 minutes until you find the sweet spot for your microwave.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons Nutella, or any other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 3 Tablespoons whole milk
- 3 Tablespoons oil (I like coconut oil)
- Combine all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- Divide into two mugs (or one large mug). Microwave 2 minutes* or until your cake is cooked through.
*Cooking time will vary depending on if you are making one cake in a large mug vs two in regular sized mugs. I suggest starting at 90 seconds and working your way up to 2 minutes until you find the sweet spot for your microwave.